cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 NAND Write Problem

fZhan14
New Contributor II

Hello, everyone:

I bought an Intel SSD 530 120G for my laptop several days ago. It worked well with the OS Win8.1 Pro x64.

When I paid attention to the NAND writes, something make me confused.

The situation is as follow:

The SSD with the OS is the first(primary) Disk, and the HDD is the second one. I have moved the cache of IE, chrome and Firefox to the Hard Drive using IE setting or mklink command, and verified it correctly. With the explorer working, the written data stream from cache is produced in the HDD partition theoretically, also I have got this conclusion through the System's Resource Monitor and the Diskmon from Microsoft website. When I cached several Movies embedded in any explorer without other operation separately, there are lots of written data traffic produced in the HDD partition, and just little data wrote in system disk(SSD), it's no doubt. Finally, each test(using one kind of explorer) improved less than 200Mb in Total Host Writes which is normal for system operating, but this process also consumed about 3Gb SSD's Total NAND writes in total in the CrystalDiskInfo 6.0.1. Also I have got the same result with the newly Intel SSD Toolbox, AIDA64 3.20 and CrystalDiskInfo 6.0.1. In fact, this written data traffic produced by explorer's cache in HDD is calculated into the SSD's total NAND writes.

Actually I'm not care of the SSD's wear, and I'm sure it couldn't reach the limited lifespan with normal usage until next generation product arrives. This accidental discovery confused me now, and the result above make me suspect the theory, Putting IE/Chrome or System cache into other medium/drive saving your SSD's wear.

Q:Here, I want to know what makes this strange condition happen, the drivers, system's bug, bad support for old mainboard, the system's setting&config or the special system log?

Testing condition:

Thinkpad R400(GM45 motherboard)/P8700/8Gb RAM/Intel 530 SSD+Hitachi 7k500/Intel 5300 AGN/Win 8.1 Pro X64 with the Win 8.1's Default config and drivers, except trunning the service Superfetch off mannually.

I could make sure the location of explorer cache(IE, Chrome, Firefox) in HDD, also the written data traffic in HDD, and the vast imprived NAND writes in SSD simultaneously.

Thanks for your help.

154 REPLIES 154

ONeum
New Contributor

Mich beunruhig das auch sehr das bei mir writes 0 GB gestiegen ist und das nand um 8 GB gestiegen ist und das ganze in 1h und ich hatte nur browser offen und temp usw auch alles auf einer HDD das ist wahnsinn wie schnell die ganzen werte steigen ohne was zu machen ich habe die 530 wie sie sehn erst seid paar tagen das machte meine 330 nicht und ich frage mich woher die hohen leseraten kommen 855 GB wenn ich von den 480 GB erst 120 GB belegt hab die daten verwieren mich total vielleicht kann mir wer helfen.und noch eine frage zum abschluss warum sprang B8 ende-zu-ende schon auf 90 mein system : win7 64 bit

Unten hab ich meine 330 die ich die ganze zeit benutze reingemacht. Es ist auf beiden platten das gleiche system drauf nur auf der 480GB erst seid 08.11.14 mit 31 std. (die letzten werte vor dem wechsel wieder zur alten platte: READ: 869GB WRITE: 502GB NAND: 530GB ON/OFF: 11 POWERON: 31h )

Wie sieht es eigentlich hier mit der garantie aus ? 20GB/DAY kann hier nicht fassen oder ?

AMusa2
New Contributor

Now the ratio is 4 to 1, and it keeps growing, this in ok?! My SSD is two months old and as you can see NAND Writes it is more than 1TB.

DNONE1
New Contributor

I would not bother anymore with this, apparently this is a "feature" of the SSD.

Looks like a "programmed" EOL of the drive...

DReki
New Contributor

17 months on Thinkpad x230 with Windows 8 => 10 and NAND is 4x from first day.

I cannot understand how web development can wear it so much.

I had 4x Corsair Force GT on PCs for couple years and amplification is 1 or less.

For years i manage daily writes under 20gb per day on them (corsair), but with Intel 530 it is hard to stay even under 30-40 gb.

Moreover Power On Hours cannot be true too - it is working at least 8-10 hours a day (including weekends).

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello drekinov,

Checking the SMART data from your SSD, the drive looks OK, it does not have any errors and should be operating properly.

Regarding the Write Amplification Factor, take into consideration that it depends a lot on the type of data written to the drive; as you can see from the comments from other users in this thread, 4 to 1 can be considered normal.

About the power on hours, the best method you can use to confirm that this is accurate would be to monitor the usage and value shown by the system to make sure it is matching correctly.

Also, we would like to add that the tool we recommend to manage the Intel® SSD 530 SSD in Microsoft Windows® is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox.