cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel 750 1.2tb issue with Asus Rampage V

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

I started building my system finally but ran into an interesting snag. firstly i have a Intel 750 1tb SSD the 2.5'' version so the connection is via a mini sas cable. i purchased the M.2 to mini sas adaptor to use on the motherboard but after installing the adaptor i found out the the plastic connection clip on the adaptor contacts the the Asus GTX 1080 that prevents the graphics card from sitting in the PCI slot properly..

i managed to find a solution instead of using the Hyper Kit is an M.2 to Mini SAS HD adapter. Rather than using the ASUS solution, i purchased a smaller adaperter from https://www.serialcables.com/search-largeview.asp?cat=&tier=&id=1727&search=true serialcableshttps://www.serialcables.com/search-largeview.asp?cat=&tier=&id=1727&search=true which was just enough to clear the GTX1080.

problem is now *the Intel 750 SSD is not recognised within the Asus Rampage Extreme V*bios nor during windows install. i updated bios Version to 3504 enabled M.2 in the on-board device configuration... *still no success ... if there something i am missing? i checked all cables are in place....*

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Caos,

We understand your SSD is no longer recognized after you bought another adapter. We would like to know if with the original adapter the SSD was properly detected?The problem seems to be with compatibility between the adapter and the motherboard, we suggest using the https://click.intel.com/u-2-to-m-2-ssd-cable-replacement-u-2-to-m-2-cable-for-intelr-ssd-750-series.... U.2 to M.2 Cable for Intel® SSD 750 Series or the one offered by the manufacturer of the board.Please let us know if the other adapter works and if it is possible for you to buy the one from us.Regards,Nestor C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hello just an update on the troublshooting i have conducted ...

I removed the M.2 Adapter and made sure there was nothing occupying the M.2 slot and made the required changes to the bios (load optimized dfualts)

I connected the SSD cable (SFF-8639 to SFF-8643) to the other 2 PCIe slot adapters (pictures attached to this email) and inserted them in to the PCie_8_4 slot (last slot on the Asus Rampage Extreme V / 3.1

I downloaded the Firmware update tool (OS independent version) to see is the Toolbox can identify a SSD but to no avail… the system still does not recognize the SSD in either the Asus Bios. Windows installer (with the SSD drivers) or the Intel toolbox. i have a corsair 1500w PSU but just to make sure i used another PSU to make sure it was ot a power supply issue or PSU cable problem....

The answer to y our question NO... As it is the first time I have run this system and just finished building it.. the problem with the original Asus Hyper Kit is the profile of the kit was too tall and inhibited the Asus Grphics card from properly seating on the PCI express slot…. So I had to search for another solution which I found.. the current adapter with the vertical profile… I h ave however purchased the U.2 to M.2 SSD cable - Replacement U.2 to M.2 Cable for Intel® SSD 750 Series from the Intel Online Shop ( order number # CLK00225318) and will test it with this cable…

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As you can see from these pics, the original Hyper Kit from Asus was preventing the Graphics card from sitting the the PCIe slot properly.. hence why i opted for the u.2 vertical profile adapter

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Caos,

Thanks for clarifying that the original Hyper-Kit is also not working. Based on your system's specs, you should be good to go with that adapter, especially because is the one from the manufacturer.We do suggest to contacting Asus* in the case of a configuration situation or wait for the Intel's cable and give it a try. You may need to take out the video card to perform the tests.Please keep us posted.Regards,Nestor C