cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test an Intel SSD

jrmwalsh
New Contributor

I have an Intel SSD 320 Series 160 GB SSD.

I had it installed in a 2007 Macbook running an early version of OSX (Snow Leopard). I set it up to dual boot OSX and Linux Mint 18.3

After working well for a couple of months the Macbook would boot properly to OSX but it failed to run applications. It would hang.

I ran Mac OSX's disk repair and it reported that it repaired a "minor" file system error. After that it would run and start applications.

But I wonder if the SSD is faulty and I want to know how to test it.

I tried downloading Intel's SSD Toolbox but the links did not work.

I have a Windows 7 machine on which I can test this SSD.

Relevant  model numbers etc follow. I have also attached an image of the SSD label

------------

Intel SSD 320 Series 160GB

ISN: CVPR14600B3516QOGN

SA: G33021-603

PBA: E75402-601

LBA 312,581,808

Made in China         WWN: 5001517BB2736F97

Model: SSDSA2BW160G3 2.5"

3Gb/s SATA SSD 160G 5V 1A

-------

I really just want to know how to test the drive to find out if it is reliable or not, or if it can be fixed, or if it is a hopeless case and I should just throw it away.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

ClariceStarling
New Contributor II

SSD Toolbox has been replaced:

"Intel's SSD Toolbox has been the primary maintenance program for Intel SSDs for almost a decade, but the company is finally winding it down and replacing it with a newer app called the Intel Memory and Storage Tool."

jrmwalsh
New Contributor

Perhaps I did not make it clear, but when I said "I have a Windows 7 machine on which I can test this SSD" it means that I have a Windows 7 machine. I do not have a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine to test it on.

The software solution you recommend does NOT work on a Windows 7 machine.

I am still looking for an answer to my query.

Thank you

You can still find SSD Toolbox on some third-party sites; e.g.  ... 

Intel SSD Toolbox 3.5.15 Free Download for Windows 10, 8 and 7 - FileCroco.com

As always, be careful with third parties!

Sorry, but that solution does not work either.

I downloaded the file, unzipped it and ran the installation .exe. It installed without problems, BUT it does not see the SSD.

I can open Windows Explorer and see the folders and the files on the SSD but Intel SSD Toolbox cannot see it.

Intel SSD Toolbox can see my main physical HDD and it shows the details of the three NTFS partitions on it, BUT it cannot see the SSD at all. The SSD is not listed. It is as if it is not even connected to the computer even though Windows Explorer can see it.

Disappointing and dissatisfying.