cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reconfigure RAID 1 array after installing new SSD

CBoya1
New Contributor

My system had an existing RAID 1 array with 2 identical SATA drives under Windows 8.1 using an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. This was the only storage and was the primary boot drive for my system.

I then installed a new SSD as the system drive, chose this as the primary boot device, and performed a new installation of Windows 8.1 on this drive. On boot, the BIOS loaded Intel RAID software recognises the SSD as a non RAID device and the old array shows with a status of rebuild if I enter the configuration management via CTRL-I during boot.

I want this array to appear as the secondary storage on my reconfigured machine. How do I set this up so that the array is recognised and in the correct status without losing all the data. I have tried to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software via the SetupRST.exe but the installation fails with what appears to be a timeout error in the log.

I have also downloaded the x64 files but I don't know how to install these directly.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Silvia_L_Intel1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Col1965, from what I understand from your post is that you want to boot to Windows 8.1 from your SSD and you want to keep the RAID 1 as storage. If this is correct it will be necessary to set the SSD as your first boot drive on BIOS.

Regarding the RAID, there are two options:

Option 1: Manually delete the Windows installation files from the RAID. Bear in mind that some registry file cannot be removed completely, so there are going to remain on the array.

Option 2: Back up all data from the RAID and format it. Then create a new Raid array from scratch.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Silvia_L_Intel1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Col1965, from what I understand from your post is that you want to boot to Windows 8.1 from your SSD and you want to keep the RAID 1 as storage. If this is correct it will be necessary to set the SSD as your first boot drive on BIOS.

Regarding the RAID, there are two options:

Option 1: Manually delete the Windows installation files from the RAID. Bear in mind that some registry file cannot be removed completely, so there are going to remain on the array.

Option 2: Back up all data from the RAID and format it. Then create a new Raid array from scratch.

Regards,

Hi silvia_intel, I have my system booting from the new SSD so that part is working fine.

I'm happy to go with Option 1 that you mentioned (at least for now) but the RAID array is showing a status of REBUILD. From what I have read, this means that the array needs to be rebuilt from the operating system but I don't know whether I need to trigger this manually or whether it will happen automatically.

Is there anything I need to do?

Thanks

CBoya1
New Contributor

After leaving the computer running for a day, the status has now returned to normal so I guess the RAID array was being rebuilt in the background.

Thanks for your help and insights.

You are welcome Col1965.