cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update unavailable for some S3500 480GB

FrAllard
New Contributor

Hi!

I have 15 Intel SSD DC S3500 Series 480GB model number SSDSC2BB480G4.

Using the Solidigm tool some of them are getting a firmware update to D2012370 and some do not detect any update and stay at D2010374, I see that the label on the drive is showing the original firmware being D2010370, so somehow they were upgraded to in the past, I don't know the history of those drives.

These are all Intel branded drives, the stickers are all original and unaltered.

I bought them second hand and they were either on D2010370 or D2010374 when I got them, all those with D2010370 got upgraded. Is there any way I can force update the firmware on those that the new firmware isn't detected? I whish they were all on the same firmware. I did try to update them with the Intel SSD FUT 3.0.12 iso and it tells me the same thing, that the firmware is the latest.

There are no data on the drive at the moment, so nothing to worry about while force upgrading the firmware, it at all possible.

Regards,

François Allard

5 REPLIES 5

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, FrAllard.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support related to your Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series. If we inferred correctly, please, review and provide us with the following information:

1- We would like to know how many Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series are experiencing this Firmware update issue?

2- We would appreciate it if you may provide us with the serial numbers of the units that you were not able to be updated by using the Solidigm Storage Tool or using FUT.

3- We would appreciate it if you may provide us with pictures of the SSDs labels and the error you are experiencing with the tools.

For more information on how to find the SSD serial number and labels, please review the Find Model, Serial, and SA Numbers for Intel® SSDs and Modules article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025532/memory-and-storage.html

We would be looking forward to your reply including this information.

We will follow up with you again on Thursday, the 14th of July 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

FrAllard
New Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot take pictures of the label easily at the moment. But I have have the serial number with me.

Only two out of 15 could not be updated and the serial number are :

PHWL45130071480QGN
BTWL4504003B480QGN

There are no error in the software it simply tells me that the ssd firmware is up to date, but the firmware is at D2010374. I tried the command line tool even with the force option it's telling me that the firmware is the latest. Those messages I receive are informational and not being sent as errors.

Regards,

François

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, FrAllard.

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate the information you shared with us.

To discard any issue related to the SSD, we would appreciate it if you may try the following recommendations:

1- Change the SSD to another SATA port on the same system and try to perform the firmware update again.

2- To provide us with the SMART logs from both drives, by using the sst show -smart -ssd X command (please, replace the X for your SSD number, for example, sst show -smart -ssd 1)

3- We understand that it may be difficult at the moment, but we would appreciate it if you may provide us with pictures of the SSD labels.

We would be looking forward to your reply including this information.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 15th of July 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, FrAllard.

Greetings from the Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series.

We would like to know if you need further assistance related to the firmware update.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 19th of July 2022, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.