cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning 600p M.2 SSD to 760p M.2 SSD

RStok
New Contributor

I have successfully cloned around 40 Intel NUC systems which contain Intel 600p M.2 SSD drives.

My customer needs another 40 units but my supplier did not have enough 600p drives so we purchased 760p drives instead.

Whenever we restore the working image to the new drives, the system fails to boot reporting an Inaccessible boot device BSOD.

We have tried to inject the latest nVME drivers into the build but have been unable to resolve the issue. The clone image is not damaged as we have since purchased a single 600p drive and the same image restores to that without any issues.

I have spoken to Intel Technology Partner support who have said there shuld be no incompatibility issues between the two drives but clearly something is not right somewhere.

BIOS settings have been checked and the cloned system does partially start to boot into Windows but BSOD's after about 30 seconds.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi RStok,

Greetings from Intel® SSD community.

We’ve ran a series of tests and labs trying to replicate the issue as per your indications, all have proven unsuccessful, confirming the use of adapters/enclosures is not validated nor supported by Intel.

As a suggestion you might want to try the cloning by the use of a different platform containing dual M.2 slots.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Cheers for the update and advice Santiago.

I think the issue relates to the SSD driver being used on the original 600p drive. The Intel NVMe driver on that system is dated February 2019. I see that there is a new IRST driver (17.5.2.1024) which is newer than the one on the system but I cannot see a newer NVMe driver for the 600p drive. I note that the newer IRST driver does not list support for the 760p NVMe, only the Client NVMe drivers list the 760p (but do not list the 600p!)

I have tried uninstalling the NVMe driver from the original 600p system but if I do this it fails with an Inaccessible Boot Device error, the same as I am getting on the 760p drive so I definately think it is related to the driver itself. What I could do with is a combined driver which supports both the 600p AND the 760p drive at the same time.

I have tried to inject the latest NVMe drivers into the Acronis recovery/clone but this still fails.

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi RStok,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® SSD community.

We will continue our research in this issue, we will get back to you as soon as we can

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi RStok,

Greetings from Intel® SSD community.

We’ve ran a series of tests and labs trying to replicate the issue as per your indications, all have proven unsuccessful, confirming the use of adapters/enclosures is not validated nor supported by Intel.

As a suggestion you might want to try the cloning by the use of a different platform containing dual M.2 slots.

Have a nice day

Santiago A.

RStok
New Contributor

Hi Santiago

We have had no choice but to abandon the solution of cloning the original 600P drives due to time constraints. Instead we have had to build up a brand new disk image on a fresh installation on one of the 760P drives. We have tested cloning to/from the new 760P disk to other drives of the same type and also to non-Intel drives which has worked absolutely fine so there is definately some compatibility issue between the 600P and the 760P. The use of an adapter or enclosure isn't anything to do with it.

We will have to conclude that this case is now closed but without a successful resolution but I do thank you for the time you have put into this in trying to help us.