cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

665p fails to write file reproducibly

KurtKnopf
New Contributor

I have a vmdk file of 67GB which I cannot write to a NTFS partition on a 665p 1TB because it fails with either permission denied or generic I/O error.

I've tried the following things:

- Copy directly via Wifi

- Copy directly via LAN

-Copy as zip (from server via LAN which worked) and extract (which failed)

-Copy as splitted (5GB files, from server via LAN, which worked) and recombine (which failed)

This is on a Windows 7 ESU where none of the Intel tools are supported AFAIK.

As there is also no firmware update available I am out of ideas how to proceed.

10 REPLIES 10

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello KurtKnopf,

Thank you for your reply and the information provided.

To continue with the troubleshooting, try the following:

1- To answer your question:

I could only connect it with an NVMe-USB-Adapter to another machine. Would that make sense for testing?

-Yes, please connect this drive to another computer and taking advantage of the file previously copied to the external drive. Let's try to copy it one more time on the SSD.

2- Would you mind installing a third-party tool like TerraCopy* or Microsoft* SyncToy, or Microsoft* Robocopy to test if the issue is related to the explorer.

We will follow up with you again on Tuesday, the 22nd of June 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

KurtKnopf
New Contributor

Before trying with another machine I ran another test. I splitted the vmdk on Linux into 5GB chunks which I tried to recombine.

Chunk a - h worked without a problem which resulted in a 40GB file. Then I recombined the second half of all the chunks into a second file which also worked. After this was finished I tried to append the second file to the first file which resulted in the error message after the total size had reached 56GB.

Also interesting: after the attached error happened, chkdsk reports the partition as being of type RAW. After rebooting the partition is recognized as NTFS again.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello KurtKnopf,

Thank you for your reply and the information provided.

The behavior that you are describing of the SSD partition. Described as losing the NTFS format and showing up as a Raw unit is not normal at all.

To continue with the troubleshooting, please try the following:

1- Would you mind installing a third-party tool like TerraCopy* or Microsoft* SyncToy, or Microsoft* Robocopy to test if the issue is related to the explorer.

2- Are you able to back up your information and run a low-level format on this SSD?

If your answer is yes, please follow the Three Ways To Run Low-Level Format Using Intel® Software Tools article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006011/memory-and-storage.html.

I understand that this last step could be difficult due to the recent information provided by you related to the SSD partition moving from NTFS to unallocated or RAW space. We think that this process is the best option to discard any hardware issue.

We will follow up with you again on Wednesday, the 23rd of June 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello KurtKnopf,

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to the Intel® SSD 665p Series. We would like to know if you were able to check the previous communication.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 25th of June 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Josh B.

KurtKnopf
New Contributor

After fiddling around with this quite a lot I accidentally found the problem. For an unknown reason the NTFS compression flag was set on the entire partition and this seems to be unable to handle files that large. After clearing the option I could happily download all the files without any problem.

Sorry!