cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79 SMART not enable

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Just installed a new system with a gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 mobo and a Intel 520 SSD.

My SSD toolbox won't run the optimizer and also says that SMART is disable.

I can't see anything about SMART in the BIOS.

How do I get this running?

Best regards

Mic

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You may have your 520 connected to the Marvell 9172 (Ugh!!) SATA interface, and not the Intel SATA interface. The SATA ports on your board are different colors, and you need to check which color belongs to what SATA interface, and determine where your 520 is connected. Once you figure that out, we can take it from there.

Also, what SATA mode are you set to on each of those different SATA interfaces, and what drivers are you using with them?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Not connected to Marvel.

All sata are to ahci ( correct spellig? ) in the bios.

I've installed all the driver for the disk coming together with the mobo.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've located the problem.

It's the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise" driver which is on the driver cd for the Gigabyte motherboard.

As soon as this is installed the toolbox reports, SMART feature not enable.

The driver is version 3.0.0.1112. Have also tried with version 3.0.0.3020 but same problem.

Strange that Intel makes a driver which screws up its own programs.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There are two different controller drivers for that board. One Intel for the drives connected to the PCH controller and one for the Marvell controllers. Intel RST supports drives connected to the PCH controller (Intel). Verify you have connected the drive(s) to the correct SATA ports. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a drive communication standard and is available on both brands of controllers. AHCI has nothing to do, per say, with WHERE the drive is installed. But you must have the drive(s) connected to the PCH controller to use IRST for those drives. Drives that are connected to the Marvell controllers will use Marvell and/or Gigabyte software. (Whatever that may be.)

Here's a list of chipset supported by IRST:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm