cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M 80GB low 4k read

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I've been testing my new system that has an Intel X25-M 80 gb and I seem to be getting a lower 4k read value than most benchmarks I see, usally around 19/20 MB/s while mine is 14MB/s.

This is on a fresh windows 7 x64 instalation, asus p7p55d motherboard and a I5-750 cpu. Sata option in BIOS with AHCI when installing windows.

- system restore off

- index off

- hibernation off

I've read all the related threads here and more and still no solution.. any ideas?

thanks in advance

72 REPLIES 72

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My last screenshot was made with GA-55A-UD4 and Win 7 x86 ultimate.

2 lmsilva

Try to steps I writed above. Do not reinstall windows. I have also 100Mb system reserved. The goal is let win 7 to reconfigure itself with new Intel drivers and only SSD in system. Also try update motherboard to latest BIOS and load defaults. Maybe some BIOS setting cause low 4k read.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How old is your motherboard? Still, given that it supports SATA 2, I don't know what the problem is with your motherboard. Unless Intel has documented an issue with your motherboard, I wouldn't give up just yet.

First, there is no need to use HDDErase to format with SSD using TRIM firmware--you could do a quick format in Windows 7. You could check your alignment:

To check that your partition is aligned correctly, go to your start menu and in the run box type msinfo32 and run it. Click on components => storage => disks and check what the partition starting offset is for your SSD. If it isn't divisible by 4096, then it's not aligned correctly (ie if you get any number that isn't a whole number, then it's not aligned).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Then why in heaven's did you state it was a hardware/software issue with the motherboard and leave it at that???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What I mean above is this post by you :

I think low 4k read speed is 99% hardware issue. At this topic me and TS have both Intel P55 motherboard.

I have similar results as TS on my home computer. Which is: Gigabyte GA-55A-UD4. I have tried all modes and drivers, AHCI, IDE, RAID. And tried Win 7 x64, x86 and Win XP x64. All setups gives around 15 Mb/s 4k read speed. Then I connect same SSD to Biostar TP45i. And get result on screenshot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

don't really know the correct date, but I assume is fairly new.. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RBA8CzWoopUlYRFZ http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RBA8CzWoopUlYRFZ

Partition Starting Offset 1.048.576 bytes / 4096 = 256 so it seems that is correctly alligned

@pavle:

I have the latest bios for my board already. I'm currently at work but I will follow the steps you posted as soon as I arrive home (in 2hours or so) and post the results I got.

Thanks to both for wasting your time helping me on this