cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-25MG2 160GB really slow.

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have had this drive for a couple of months and it has been working great. My little issue is shutting down the system. It takes appox. 12 seconds to shut down. It usually only take about 4 seconds to shut down after running the toolbox, which I assumes forces a trim command.

anyway, I used to run the toolbox in about 1.5 minutes when doing it weekly, but I decided to let it run for a few wekks to see how trim work on it by itself.

well, after 3 weeks it still takes 12 seconds to shut down, but after running the toolbox last night, it took 5.5 minutes ths times and acts like maybe trim hasn't been work at all?

Is there a way to monitor trim and how often it is run? Last time it has ran?

when I installed windows it was in ide mode and a registry tweek to enable ahci and a bios setting has worked so far. I was told trim still works in IDE mode, but it acts like it's off. I checked with dos commands and trim is turned on.

I run as ssd and it reports normal speeds as compared to others on this site. It runs very well all around, just the inconsistant shut down bothers me.

-=Mark=-

I'm using win 7 ult. x64, ich10, ahci mode, msachi drivers, x58 mothrboard.

24 REPLIES 24

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

as stated in my original post, my only real concern is my shut down speed increainng from 4 to 12 seconds, which is 300% decrease in speed. isn't 300% a lot?

Hopefully disabling system restore fixes the issue as a lot of complaints arise from this feature. I'll let you know after a while if the issue shows back up.

Thanks for your concern

-=Mark=-

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I thought you solved that shutdown problem when you said: "Apparently toolbox needs to be ran with ahci driver because it fixes my slow shut down times and returns to a 4second shut down."

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Defineately not a solution. I'd call it more a band aid. I shouldn't need to run toolbox constantly. I'm hoping this system restore fixes until they figure out the issue with system restore. If this don't work, then I may try RST and see if the new Intel drivers fix it.

Otherwise I guess I have to live with it until a solution is found.

Thanks again for all your help

-=Mark=-

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't understand why you are running optimizer from SSD Toolbox when TRIM is running automatically with msahci driver.

As for a slow computer shutdown, there are various situations that could cause that. You can do a search on Slow Shutdown or Slow Computer Shutdown and get quite a few relevant hits, registry could be one reason. Have you made any changes to the registry?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It could be A startup program/s that's causing your PC to take a long time to shut down. If you've not already done so, go into msconfig and see what programs are automatically being started by Windows. If you disable stuff like iTunes, Quck Time and various Adobe ones from auto starting up it may improve your shut down times. I had around 6 programs auto starting without my knowledge.