cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of SATA mode to use in Mass Storage Controller Configuration in BIOS?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What kind of SATA mode to use in Mass Storage Controller Configuration in BIOS?

Hi there,

I am trying to install windows 7 professional x64 on a system using motherboard Intel S5520SCR.

Windows itself should be installed in a

160Gb Intel X25-M Mainstream Sata Solid-State Drive

and I want to install 2 other Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives I have as internal hard drives. In the future I might install a third Seagate Barracuda, that I would still buy, but that's it.

I want to use the hard drives as simple additional storage. I don't need to create any special partitions, I don't want to RAID or anything.

Would you please be so kind to tell me what Mass Storage Controller Configuration to use? I listed below the options in the Bios, with the explanations offered in the Bios.

Thank you very very much, I can't even start to list how many tries I have already tried to do this.

(if it makes any difference my graphics card is a Nvidia FX1800)

Hard drives:

-Intel 160Gb Intel X25-M for windows 7 x64

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1Tb for additional storage only, single partition-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500Gb for additional storage only, single partition - potentially a new Barracuda someday (for additional storage only, single partition).

Options in the BIOS

Enhanced - Supports up to 6 SATA ports with IDE Native Mode.

Compatibility - SUpports up to 4 SATA ports [0/1/2/3] with IDE Legacy mode and 2 SATA ports [4/5] with IDE Native Mode.

[AHCI] - Supports all SATA ports using the Advanced Host Controlled Interface.

AHCI Option ROM - Enable or Disable the onboard Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) option ROM. Note: For AHCI capability in EFI, the AHCI Legacy Option ROM should be set to [Disabled].

[SW RAID] - Supports configuration of SATA ports for RAID via RAID configuration software.

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks a LOT for the the help.

I will try this as soon as I get be to my system.

Many many thanks, will post results asap.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows is still not installing.

As per the read me file / instructions to install the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology, I copied the requested files to a USB key. The drivers where successfully recognized by windows when I clicked on "Load Driver" prior to the start of the installation process.

Installation process did no complete.

As of right now the installation process is in what could be classified as a hang.

The system is again at "2 Installing windows" at about 2/3 of the way of completion. Mouse is working, the three dots after "Completing Installation..." keep cycling.

I will leave the machine running overnight to see if it finishes installation.

Please let me know if there is another way of installing the updated NIC drivers before windows completes its installation.

Is there a way to run the Intel Deployment Assistant again?

ANY additional help is very welcome.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

By the way, I removed the additional hard drives for the installation. Only the SSD is in the machine. I did not set the boot order to boot the SSD first and the CD second.

I will try this if it turns out that the system did not install by the morning.

Seems that Doc_SilverCreek has pointed the right direction - most likely the issue is on the embedded Microsoft NIC driver. The issue is documented in the http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e68106012_s5520sc_msu_2010_08.pdf Specification update, Errata 24.

There are two ways to workaround this issue:

1. During OS installation, make sure the ports are connected to a network, switch or simply back-to-back.

2. Update to http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3073&DwnldID=19407&lang=eng BIOS 54

Make sure you install latest http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3073&DwnldID=18388&ProductFamily=Serve... Network Driver after OS installation completes. Check Errata 30 in http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e68106012_s5520sc_msu_2010_08.pdf Specification update if you have problem installing the NIC driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry for dumb question, but at this point I don't want to short circuit anything.

When you guys say "connect a networkcable back to back" do you mean take one end of an ethernet cable and put it into one port and the other end in the other port (without any switchers or anything)?

Many thanks, I will probably try this with the machine connected to the internet through a regular cable modem home, but just in case it doesn't work I can try the back to back method.

Many many thanks for the help.