cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with X-25m G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Does anyone know why my 4k read/write is so much slower than other people with the same drive??? Its a brand new X-25m G2 drive.

I even used HHDErase 3.3 to secure erase the drive when i first benchmarked it. I thought something was wrong with it. But even after a second secure erase, i am still having the same problem.

I have attached two different benchmarks. Everything is normal for the SEQUENTIAL read/write and RANDOM 512K Read/Write

Problem is with my 4K scores. It seems as tho they are cut in half than what they are supposed to be. AHCI is enabled. CrystalDiskMark 2.2 -------------------------------------------------- CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/ http://crystalmark.info/ -------------------------------------------------- Sequential Read : 258.695 MB/s Sequential Write : 87.820 MB/s Random Read 512KB : 198.667 MB/s Random Write 512KB : 85.654 MB/s Random Read 4KB : 17.172 MB/s Random Write 4KB : 32.277 MB/s Test Size : 100 MB Date : 2009/09/20 23:38:05

Attachment is the "AS http://forum.notebookreview.com/autolink.php?id=2987&script=showthread&forumid=27 SSD Benchmark Software"

30 REPLIES 30

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Like Aznox i don't want ur guesses about performance loss on laptop platforms. I'd really love to hear from Intel emplyee explayning the reason instead tbh. Personally I suspect that Intels firmware/drivers might have not been optimized for chipsets used in laptops. But still its just a guess.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Aznox, you should follow Rolands advice and use a system diagnostic nor benchmark tool which will also include other components.

You can't just compare apples with bananas, thats a fact. Compare the specs of yours, e.g chipset, cpu and memory to others using the manufacturer whitepapers.

And of course, desktops are design to be more powerfull than laptops, in general. Your laptop has a battery. This battery will provide power, not only for your cpu but also for your screen, speakers, mouse (touchpad etc). Laptops are designed to run on less power because of battery use. What will a laptop be if you can run it for just 2 minutes before the battery run out? It's because of the overall system design and the nature and purposes of laptops. Even Alienware (~3.5K $) high end laptops are slower than matchable desktops.

And your results (like u said) are not bad at all, try the same test with an traditional HDD and you will see how beneficial the ssd really is.

I think the Intel was the best choice.

What laptop u have? Brand, Model, config. What are your energy saving settings like? And what are your expectations about that drive?

Only trying to be helpful.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Of course, I don't compare my old Dell XPS 1530 [ T9300/4Go ddr2/ICH8M] with a brand-new desktop,

but i'm surprised to see that sector-plugged, even with custom alim-profile (CPU100%/no drive sleep/ ...), My perf are below any Sata 2 desktop.

In fact i don't really care about that, but the thing that annoy me is that this make me think to other problem i've seen before like thinkpads that didn't provide sata 2 speed even if they were compatible ... just because lenovo didn't imagine ssd perf when they concepted the laptop .... and now they seem too kazy to correct their mistake.

I hope you understood my point of view (because my english isn't perfect), but i could summarize by :

- Don't you think intel didn't update their mobile chipset enough during last years, saying something like " its useless, they won't put a triple raptor in thoses laptop" ? Of course it's just an exemple but thats the type of fear i've got : Paying a lot for RD with first public ssd, and have bad perf until Intel fix the problem because everybody got a SSD .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've also got this problem with my brand new SSD. I can't seem to get even near others results.

I've installed chipset drivers and activated AHCI. BUT i activated it through the registry not the BIOS (because I get bluescreen then).

Am I maybe suppose to activate it through BIOS then reinstall windows 7? someone said u have to do that after u changed to AHCI in BIOS.

Anyway, here are my results, what shall I do?

HERE are some results I compared with and I asked the person, he said he didn't do anything special that I havent done...

Look at the results to the right.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1037/ssdchart.jpg

That is a lot more than my results..

Kind of dissapointing after buying a expensive SSD from intel and it doesnt perform as it should...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Kaleido:

Apart from lower 512K and 4K reads your writes seems to be very good. You managed to get like twice what we get in 4K writes. I guess you have your ssd installed on desktop machine?

Anyway, what windows are you using? On win 7 I didnt have problem with switching between AHCI and ATA without reinstalling, well at least from AHCI to ATA and then back again.

I am pretty sure that if you haven't enabled AHCI via bios (as u get blue screen now) no windows registry change will help your with the speeds. If I were you I'd reinstall system with AHCI enabled in bios and see if that helps.