cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware and Intel MLC SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I try to figure out what is the best "low-cost" solution for virtualizing Solarisx64 oracle database in VMware (around 500MB R/W operations per day MAX).

The SLC SSD are out of my league for now and I am very much interested in the X25-M SSD. However I am wondering how to take advantage of the TRIM which will be mandatory because of the number of R/W per day. Note that if the disk dies in 3 years from now it's not a problem, or let say that it's less of a problem than buying SLC today.

I know that TRIM is supported by Windows 7 only for now, XP 32/64 and Vista supports this manually via the Intel toolbox.

Now my questions are:

- if the host is running Windows 7 will it still take benefit of the TRIM while the guest Vmware images are running anything else, in my case solaris. I mean the guest is not running windows 7 it writes into the SSD but the host is Windows 7

- if the host is running XP and the Intel Toolbox is ran manually with the VMware guest images still running, will that restore the disk drive capacity ?

The exact target HW is:

- Host Operating System executed on a standard HDD

- Guest OSs running on one or multiple SSD drives

Many thanks in advance !

Philippe.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You guessed it right. My VMs run on my workstation, which runs XP-PRO. That's because our employees have their own localized VMs with their older stuff on it. Like old compilers for old applications. No way that ICT would be willing to host all those VMs.