cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncorrectable Error Count - Intel 520 SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I was surprised to find out how big the raw value of Uncorrectable Error Count for my drive is: 220147178. The rest of the attributes in SMART seem to have normal values. I've checked the value both in Windows 7 64-bit using Intel SSD Toolbox (3.0.2) and GNU/Linux using smartmontools. I've also noticed it grows quite rapidly when using the ssd.

According to the documentation Intel 520 SSD Product Spec:

The raw value shows the count of errors that could not be recovered using Error Correction Code (ECC). Full Diagnostic Scan in Intel SSD Toolbox passes without errors. Furthermore in linux I have successfully copied many big files (checked their md5sums). The funny thing is that after running the Full Diagnostic Scan the raw value is smaller: 169588940 (overflow?). I also found some screenshots from anandtech's review of Intel 520 SSD and his Uncorrectable Error Count raw value was 0. Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L (yes, SATA2...) Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My 520 has a similar value for uncorrectable Error Count, which is a Raw value so cannot be interpreted literally by itself. In another article on Anandtech's site, about using Intel SSDs in enterprise applications, he discusses using tools to reset various SMART data values. Perhaps he reset it. Did you secure erase your 520? I fooled around with mine for a week or so, and then did a SE and installed Windows. Just looking for similar usage between us.

My 520 is fine so far, just installed Win 7 on it yesterday, using it now but not done with the installation (a pre-SP1 copy of Win 7, ugh!!) yet. Notice that your Power-On Hours Count raw value is a pretty crazy value, but obviously just not processed correctly. I must check my other Intel and other SSDs, that are spread across three PCs, if they even have that value.

I'm not worried about it right now. We'll need more information about that SMART value before coming to any conclusions. That value is no doubt from the SandForce controller. Yet another thing to do, more study...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, I haven't done any SEs.

The funny thing is that today my raw value of the Uncorrectable Error Count attribute is 0. The only things that I did (in order): boot Windows, reformat the ssd as ntfs, run Intel SSD Toolbox (Full Diagnostic), reboot. Checked the readout in both Windows and GNU/Linux. The Power-On Hours Count raw value is still incorrect considering the description in the spec: http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/ssd/pdfs/Intel_SSD_520_Product_Spec_325968.pdf http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/ssd/pdfs/Intel_SSD_520_Product_Spec_325968.pdf

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same error count - how ever when start Windows it goes back to zero.

Like the same 'Unsafe shutdown count', I take its nothing to worry about? At least other's have noticed this too...

As i said in another post 'problems with 520' I am extremely pleased with the performance of this SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, you're totally right. I have rechecked the raw value and it is again > 0. I'm sure I have checked that the value was 0 after doing some reads/writes, so this must occur only after a longer uptime (and a reset needs booting and then turning off Windows?). Maybe this is also connected with the unsafe shutdown values noted in the other thread i.e. when Windows unsafely unmounts the disks only then is the Uncorrectable Error Count zeroed (pure guess).