cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't get your point. I gave you a simple explanation from Intel's white paper clearly explaining you do not need the Toolbox for TRIM when installing Windows 7 with AHCI and Microsoft AHCI driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ambizytl:

Will you perform the following test on your Intel G2 SSD that has never had the SSD Toolbox installed, but does have the latest SSD firmware:

1) Disable TRIM in Win 72) Completely fill the disk space3) Run your benchmark4) Enable TRIM in Win 75) Run your benchmark again6) Post your results

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

CZZ,

Give it up already.

Several technically-competent contributors have explained to you that TRIM is a standards-based process native to Windows 7 involving commands sent by the Windows 7 OS to a TRIM-enabled SSD controller. The current state of the standard is here:

http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2009/e08146r6-Maximum_LBA_Range_Supported.pdf http://www.t13.org/Documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2009/e08146r6-Maximum_LBA_Range_Supported.pdf

If you are able to read the standard, you will see that it defines commands sent from an OS to a TRIM-enabled SSD controller and does not involve any any interaction with any software from any SSD vendor.

The Intel SSD Toolbox is a stand-alone GUI-based application from which various tools can be launched. One of those tools is the Intel SSD Optimizer, used to perform manual and/or scheduled TRIM operations on SSDs accessed by XP, Vista, and/or Windows 7. Although TRIM operations may be performed manually and/or on a scheduled basis under Windows 7 by executing the SSD Toolbox, it is not necessary to do so because Windows 7 issues TRIM commands natively, directly to the controller built into the Intel SSD per the ATA8-ACS2 standard referred to with pdf link above.

Do you know how to use Windows Task Manager or Sysinternals Process Explorer? If so, execute the Toolbox and observe that an executable called "Intel SSD Toolbox.exe" is active. Now, run the SSD Optimizer tool. Do you see any other process start up? No, you do not; because the SSD Optimizer tool is a tool built into the Intel SSD Toolbox as the name implies. Now, terminate Intel SSD Toolbox.exe. Do you see any Intel process or service running that could be the phantom "SSD Optimizer Tool" that you claim is required for Windows 7 to send TRIM commands to the Intel SSD controller? No, you do not, because there is no such service and you just shut the the application down. But maybe the phantom SSD Optimizer Tool is a driver? Open Device Manager and look at the drivers associated with the SSD? Do you see any Intel-installed driver portion of the SSD driver stack that could be doing the phantom SSD Optimizer work behind the scenes? No, you do not. Unless you manually execute it or schedule it to be executed, the SSD Optimizer Tool is nowhere to be found as an executing task, service, or driver. And yet Windows 7 is performing trim operations with TRIM-enabled SSDs. (Maybe the SSD Optimizer is floating out there in the ether somewhere, like a ghost, controlling your system.)

It is not unusual for a manufacturer to intentionally draft marketing material, including "white papers," and even some technical material, with ambiguities that may serve as marketing tactics. The substantial ambiguities found in various Intel statements and literature that you and others have been bantering back and forth to no avail may fall into this category. E.g., an implication that a proprietary piece of software from Intel is necessary for TRIM to work.

If so, your having fallen for it hook, line, and sinker is mildly amusing. Your persistence, though, in the face of others having explained to you how TRIM is implemented between Windows 7 and any TRIM-capable SSD controller is carrying you from the realm of amusing to that of annoying. It reminds me of a little yapping Chiuhuahua dog. At this point, you are merely cluttering this forum with noise.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So,

I am currently running Windows 7 x64 on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard, Intel X25-M G2 80GB drive. I installed Win 7 with the BIOS in AHCI. After installation the computer will not get through POST with the AHCI mode enabled. It tries to see the Intel G2 but gets stuck. The only way I can get past POST is with AHCI disabled in the BIOS.

So no automatic TRIM is what I am gathering and that I will need to use the Intel SSD Toolbox to send the TRIM command.

Correct?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Does it post if you remove the SSD with AHCI mode enabled?