cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK,

So the only way to tell if the Windows AHCI driver is passing teh TRIM command automatically is by checking the performance of the drive every so often after normal use to see if the drive perfromance is degrading or not, or do some of the same tests mentioned in the Aandtech article listed here: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667&p=2 http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3667&p=2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Quite frankly, I do not worry about it. I know TRIM is working because I ran benchmarks. Now, I do not have to continually verify TRIM is working by doing benchmarks every day or week. It works, end of story. All you have to do is benchmark before TRIM firmware and after installing TRIM firmware and do it again say a week or so later.If you haven't benchmarked before TRIM firmware was installed, you can still tell by the benchmark result you get after TRIM firmware has been installed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

"If you haven't benchmarked before TRIM firmware was installed, you can still tell by the benchmark result you get after TRIM firmware has been installed."

ambizytl

Do you have the 160 GB Intel SSD?

The previous firmware update did improve the performance for the 160 GB SSD, but not for the 80 GB SSD.

Also, I would think a proper testing scenario would involve benchmarking a completely filled SSD (no unfilled pages/blocks), then employing TRIM, then benchmarking to see the difference TRIM makes

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

quote from a previous post by ambizytl:

From Intel's white paper:When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction.Microsoft Windows* 7Microsoft* AHCINative OS support (Intel® SSD Toolbox not required)End of quote.

ambizytl:

Look at the heading in the third column: "Execution Environment"

In my words: there is no [manual] execution of Intel's Toolbox required as Win 7 has "Native OS support"The SSD Optimizer and the SSD Toolbox are separate items.

From Intel's white paper:

<!-- [DocumentBodyStart:f05757cb-f811-4da6-8bfe-9179c0645776] -->

Operating System

Storage Driver

Execution Environment

Microsoft Windows* 7

Microsoft* AHCI

Native OS support (Intel

® SSD Toolbox not required)

Microsoft Windows 7

Intel

® Matrix Storage Manager**

Intel

® SSD Toolbox required

Microsoft Windows Vista* or XP

<span style="font-family: Neo Sans Intel,Neo Sans Inte...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I did the benchmark before and after TRIm firmware was installed and I know TRIM is working.