cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

DZand
Contributor III

@ lostipod:

You will be able to manage your SSD and the RAIDed hdd's with the Intel MSM or RST drivers as long as all drives are connected to Intel SATA ports. Since your SSD is not within the RAID, you can use the Optimizer of the upcoming SSD Toolbox.

As soon as you put your drives into a new system without an Intel Southbridge chip, you will need to use other AHCI/RAID drivers, which do support the SATA Controllers, where the drives are connected. The problem is not the transfer of the SSD datas, but the transfer of the Intel RAID datas, because you have to break the Intel RAID and create another one.

Regarding the Trim support of your Intel Postville SSD you will have the best chances with your current system, because I expect, that Intel will present RST drivers in the near future, which do pass the Trim command. If I am right, you will not even need to run the SSD Toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Fernando,

Firstly, thanks again. Since I plan on using RAID 1 and formatting with NTFS, would that not mean that even if I took the drive out of the Intel RAID it would still be universally readable/writable in Windows? Any other RAID spans the data across multiple drives, but as I understand it RAID 1 just writes the same thing to 2 drives instead of 1. Second quesstion, if I did get a non Intel chipset, could I recreate the RAID 1 array under the other chipset without erasing/formatting these drives (the drives would be the same model/capacity (2GB) with exactly the same data on it). I hope so because otherwise where would the 2TB of data go while I put the two drives in the new RAID array? Would suck to have to buy another 2TB drive just for that temporary purpose. I guess if that were the case I could just do a Windows software RAID right? Performance would be slower but it doesn't matter as the 2TB drives are just a storage facility, any files in use could always be put on the C drive temporarily.

DZand
Contributor III

@ lostipod:

You probably will be able to get the RAID1 array transferred to another system without losing your data, but nevertheless you should do a backup before you try it, because a RAID transfer is always risky, even with a RAID1 array.

Some side notes:

1. I cannot imagine any reason why an owner of an actual Intel chipset mainboard and an Intel Postville SSD should think about buying a new mainboard with a non-Intel chipset.

2. Your additional questions were really off-topic.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

why doesn't intel make a intel ahci drvr with native trim support for the intel postvile,for their own intel chipsets :?