cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM is not active without optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Appreciate any corrections to the following:

Per Intel, "The Intel SSD Optimizer is the tool that implements Trim functionality."

And, since SSD Optimizer is part of the Intel SSD Toolbox, those of us with new G2 SSDs cannot utilize TRIM until the SSD Toolbox download is available.
53 REPLIES 53

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm really out of my place talking about AHCI/IDE/RAID...

I'm about to upgrade my firmware. I have my 160GB G2 on SATA0 and two other regular discs in RAID0 on SATA 2 and 3. In BIOS my SATA-configuration show up as RAID. Will this be a problem when upgrading? The SSD is not in RAID...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
In BIOS my SATA-configuration show up as RAID. Will this be a problem when upgrading? The SSD is not in RAID...

No you should be fine to update your firmware. You just need to temporarily change your bios to either IDE or AHCI (check the firmware update release notes for the best setting). Once the update is complete, switch back to RAID.

I updated my X25-m 80gb in exactly the same situation as you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you dokh22.

And I switch back before starting Windows7 for the first time after the upgrade?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes that's right. Switch back to whatever mode your bios was set to originally (in your case RAID) once the firmware update is complete. If you try to load windows in a mode other than the one it was installed with, you'll probably get a BSOD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This may seem off topic but I need to know this to form my related question. I want to have 3 drives, my boot Intel SSD and then 2 x 2GB RAID (1 mirroring). Would there be any difference in the "compatability" of these RAID drives between going with the Intel RST AHCI drivers (in the future when they're released) and the Microsoft AHCI drivers? What I mean by that is, let's say in the future I buy a new rig with a non Intel chipset. Does that mean that if I used the Intel drivers I wouldn't be able to access the data on my mirrored drives? Basically I just want these drives formatted in NTFS and be completely / universally compatable in Windows (e.g. another hypothetical situation: take one of the drives out of the array and just pop it in an enclosure and hook it up to any Windows system and have it be readable/writable).