cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series 520 480GB SSD, Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K ..... Toolbox not recognising SSD Model - but listing Firmware Version and Serial No.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have justy received my system which is a

Sabertooth X79 socket 2011 R.O.G.

I7-3930k Processor,

32GB Quad DDR RAM,

Geforce GTX690 GPU,

520 480GB Intel SSD (Boot)

2 x Corsair Black 2TB HDD's (not RAID - 1 for User files, 1 for Backup)

The tool box sees the SSD, Firmware (400i) and the SSD Serial No - BUT NOT the Model No, and that Drive details and Smart Drive details are greyed out also.

I've updated all the drivers on the Motherboard - but the Tool box doesn't Recognise the drive .....

UPDATE - the following Motherboad drivers are installed :-

Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise oftware V3.0.0.3011)

Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V1.3.1.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7

Marvell SATA 6G Driver V1.2.0.1014 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Dave mentioned about Series 11 Drivers working in another post thread - and that installing these can be complicated!! (which probably means beyond my expertise)

And other dfiscussion threads talk about reverting to MS SATA controller drivers, also some mention of problems with the Marvel Drivers on the Sabertooth motherboard!! ...... to be honest I'm a bit lost!!

Anyone got any advice?

Kind regards

Roy

Message was edited by: Roy Jackson

Message was edited by: Roy Jackson

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi - an update!!

I have uninstalled the Intel RST enterprise software ..... rebooted, and Windows 7 (64bit) installed an ATA Controller which displayed in the DIVICE MANAGER ...... when I tried the toolbox it recognised the drive allowing me to Optimise the drive and schedule weekly optomising.

The system wanted to be restarted - and this time when the 'Installing Device Software' alert came up - it installed device drivers for the SSD, the 2 HDD drives and 5 other unused ports.

Tool Box again is still working - but when I go to the STORAGE CONTROLLERS in Device Manager - now only the Martvel 91xx SATA 6G Controller is listed!!!

My question is therefor is it ok to leave this configeration? or will the use of all the Drives be not optomised for best use?

Kind reagrds

Roy

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As you discovered on your own, the RSTe driver is not compatible with the SSD Toolbox. Seems incredible, but you know it's true. Savvy X79 users have figured this out and posted their experience in many forums. X79 chipset boards are the only PC boards that use RSTe, all the other 7-series chipsets use the standard PC IRST.

Regarding your missing SATA controller, look for it under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in Device Manager. That configuration is fine.

I imagine your SATA mode was set to AHCI, and when you rebooted after removing RSTe, Windows 7 installed its standard AHCI driver, msahci. That driver is fine to use, at worst it would be slightly lower in performance than RSTe, but it quite likely is equal or a bit better in performance. The main thing you'll be missing is RAID capability when not using RSTe, but if you don't use it, nothing lost.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for that @ parsec. You are correct - the drive is set as AHCI.

The only problem is that the MSAHCI driver was loaded after I uninstalled the RSTe driver - but the system then wanted robooting again after which the MS driver was missing again ,,,, now the only driver ubder STORAGE CONTROLLERS is the Marvell 91xx SATA 6G controller.

Is it OK leaving it like this - or should I uninstall the Maxell Controller - force windows to re-install the MS Controller, then re-install the Maxell controller?

(You'll have to excuse my ignorance in these matters!!)

msahci would be found under ide ata/atapi controllers.

if the driver were truly missing, your system wouldn't boot.