cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem switching to AHCI mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, I just completed this build: Opteron 6170 x 2 on Asus Kgpe-D16, 24gb Kingston ECC ram, Quadro 2000, Intel X25M 120gb, 3tb on one internal and one external hdd, Win 7 ultimate. I didn't check bios for ide/ahci mode prior to installing windows, and it was set for ide. Last night I editted registry and changed bios to ACHI. System rebooted, and everything seemed ok. On second (or maybe 3rd) reboot, the system hung at windows start up screen. I pressed reset, and now after post, I get a brief what looks like bsod, and system starts boot process again. I have not applied any firmware updates nor run any optimization tools on the drive. Can anyone please help get this system up again?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Let's see, I've had some major issues since my last post (had the system completely apart three or four times), but the system is up and running now. I posted initially after completing the procedure described in parsec's post. I don't know why, because after taking a wide detour, I ran the exact same procedure again with success.

I'm not sure however, whether or not the firmware update worked. If it did, what should I see in device manager>disk drives>intel ssd>details>hardware ids?

Thanks for taking time to post!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The latest firmware update is 2CV102M3, the previous firmware is 2CV102HD.

I'm glad your PC is running fine again. IMO, the new firmware is not essential for these SSDs, I have two with 02M3 on them, and two with 02HD. With 02M3, you lose a small amount of sequential read speed but gain in IOPs, and some issues are fixed that I never encountered. See for yourself:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18363/eng/Release%20Notes.PDF http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18363/eng/Release%20Notes.PDF

Just wondering, which driver are you using, msahci, or an AMD driver?

Message was edited by: parsec

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm using an AMD driver now.