cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD, some questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

getting my Intel X25-M Gen 2 SSD in 2 days. I have windows 7 currently installed on a normal HD and I was wondering if I can use a partition copy program like Acronis to copy it over to the new SSD without any issues?

Also browsing though here it looks like Windows 7 does not do a lot of the things its supposed to do when an SSD is used as the system drive (disable prefetch, trim etc). Is this really the case?

Anything else I should know or configure? I have a core 2 due with a Intel 975X/Intel ICH7R motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe  

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why do you suppose it would be better for OCZ drives? I mean, after all, we are talking about SSD drives and the brand shouldn't make a difference making an image with regard for alignment.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Absolutely the brand makes a difference. Why do you think the prices are different. they don't all work in exactly the same way and they don't all use the same quality/brand chips. If what you are saying is true then we could have all bought a 140.00 off brand instead of shelling out 289.00 for the intel. Some brands use faster chips some use different chips and some react to different alignments by it affecting their speed reading AND writing.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There are many different brands of mechanical hard drives, and Is it any different with SSD? You know, the brand can be different and the chips can be different and the spindle motor can be different, but the alignment is cohesive with the design.

One last thing about benchmarks that some people are obsessed with, the usage of your SSD may not show any detectable difference with ordinary everyday computing regardless of benchmark results. If you point to benchmark results referring to writing large files, how many large files do you write? Access time is significant because that is relative to everyday usage.

Do you notice a differerence if your benchmark test totals 10 or even 20 points less? Windows 7 uses proper alignment for SSD and that to me is the bottom line.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Like I said before. Whatever floats your boat. You probably won't notice any real world difference anyway. Only benchmark wise and that doesn't really reflect noticable speed differences.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

looks good