cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new firmware released 02HD - experiences so far?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hey all,

so a couple of minutes ago intel released the new firmware. we could collect our experiences right here.

who did already perform the upgrade? who wants to be the first? XD

regards,

xout

77 REPLIES 77

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

anybody made some experience updating the firmware on a Intel x25 G2 160 Gb with a MacBook Pro?

I'm still afraid - never change a running system.....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It has flushed fine as well on mine but, I only get Max of 200Mb read and 100 write... I've tested in Windows 7 x64 bit with HDTune and CrystalDisk. What an I going wrong? My drive is x25-m 160gb G2 02HD

Anyone else having Read speads of 197Max and Average of 130? Also, should I tick Turn Off write caching box to make a difference?

Cheers

P.S. My system is 13 Macbook Pro mid 2009, 2.53Ghz, 4Gb Ram, x25-m 160gb G2 from 02G9 to 02HD (seq read speed drop of 50Mb/s)?????

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you have a look on page 3 where i posted my benchmarks, my first bench was with write caching turned off. Notice the really low write speeds but as soon as i turned it on have a look at the next benchmark.

I'm not sure of a single SSD setup though, hopefully someone can answer your call, GL!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, no worries, write speed is not a problem, read seq is I beleive something's blocking the bandwidth...

I also have no access to BIOS on MAC so not sure how to walk around this issue. Thanks anyway.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When running the firmware update on my 80GB G2 the updater reported it failed (Asus P5Q-E motherboard in P45 chipset AHCI mode)

This was going from 02G9 to 02HD. The updater suggested I enable legacy mode and SMART. SMART was already enabled so I changed the SATA mode to IDE compatible and re-tried the update. This time it said the firmware was already up to date! (so it succeeded even though it said it didn't!)

Switched back to AHCI mode, then booted up Win 7 x64 and verified the before and after firmware versions using Device Manager.

This website doesn't like me uploading pictures at the moment so can't post my crystaldiskmark scores but the 4K writes show an increase from 65.56MB/s to 70.77MB/s (+12%), the other numbers remain more or less unchanged. System still nice and zippy

As an aside, I must mention that I used the Windows 7 backup utility to create an image of the drive onto a separate HDD and bootable repair CD before flashing, just in case. Not that I needed it but it's a great feature to have finally built into the Windows OS!