cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new firmware released 02HD - experiences so far?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hey all,

so a couple of minutes ago intel released the new firmware. we could collect our experiences right here.

who did already perform the upgrade? who wants to be the first? XD

regards,

xout

77 REPLIES 77

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here is the benchmark from my PC. Details:

2x160GB SSD G2 with 02HD firmware in RAID 0

Lenovo ThinkStation D10; using onboard RAID controller. 128KB RAID block size

Windows 7 64-bit

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had trouble booting from the installer CD but I could solve the problem by temporarily deactivating AHCI in the BIOS (yes, I know I should have done that in the first place but it says in the readme that AHCI would work). Other than that, the upgrade of my X25-M G2 80 GB went flawlessly and I indeed saw quite an improvement after sending the first TRIM command by emptying the recycle bin.

Before upgrade (and after six weeks of usage with no TRIM):

After upgrade and TRIM:

Cheers,

Sebastian

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just upgraded my pair of 160GB G2 running in raid0.

Following the instructions I have first set the sata ports to IDE compatibility mode (I skipped trying with AHCI as some reported problems when upgrading using this mode). Upgrade went flawlessly.

I did some benchmarking using CrystalDiskMark 2.2 just before and just after the upgrade. Here are the results:

Before:

And after:

Read performance stayed about the same (went down a bit for the sequential read and up some for the 512k random read).

The most noticable change, however, is definitely the write performance. Thank you Intel!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

those are so good results you got there. What is your system specs and what kind of stripe size are you using? If I may ask.

Regards,

Toby

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Toube,

I use a stripe size of 128KB (Just the default since I understood that it wouldn't make much of a difference).

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus III Gene running an i860 with 8GB RAM.

I have divided the raid volume into two partitions: 64GB for Windows 7 64 bit and some office programs, the rest for other stuff (mainly software development tools, vmware and games).

The SSD's are connected to sata port 0 & 1. No other drives connected (yet).

And I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers (version 9.5.0.1037).

Write caching is on, so the results should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

ssdNoob