cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 320 firmware buggy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/do-ssd-drives-really-fail-lot-t4035508.html

Be wary of the new Intel SSD 320 series. Currently, there's a bug in the

controller that can cause the device to revert to 8MB during a power failure. AFAIK they have not yet publicly announced it, and won't have a firmware fix ready for release until the end of July. We had an SSD 320 600GB 2.5" SATA drive in for evaluation from our Intel rep. I was able to kill it in two or three hours by power cycling it. Apparently (according to the Intel rep) when the power failure is happening, the SSD device tries to reconnect with the SATA port instead of initiating a proper shutdown. Something to do with interrupt priority being higher for reconnection rather than a proper shutdown.

I don't know how much truth is to this post. Has there been any official acknowledgement of this problem?

125 REPLIES 125

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The stupid move is to release not ready and not "dummy" tested product to the market, is not it? They don't care, it's not the first epic fail from Intel for the last 3-5 years.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Today's business world is like this "take the money and run" and these A$# @% are no exception, look at Microsoft, why would you think their CS is in India ????

And why do you think so many companies go bankrupt ???? they made their money and it's time to say goodbye, change their name to some bogus label and continue doing business selling the same crap to the public...just like telemarketing.....it's all a set up, and when you go to get your pay everything is gone overnight, and the CEO's are probably somewhere in the Bahamas enjoying their newly bought 20 bedroom estate.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm following this thread as a user of an Intel 320 drive.

The previous post by sogersortep does not provide any technical information or insight into this problem, nor does it display even the slightest grasp of the position of Intel as a company within the world marketplace. I will not engage sogersortep's off-topic rant, and I am not sure if there are moderators that can remove completely useless posts in this thread? But if there are, perhaps that unhelpful posting can be removed.

As for my own Intel 320 experience: 300GB model, very limited use and testing within a ThinkPad T520 laptop, but have not experienced any problems. I also had not had any forced power-off cycles. I did try twice from within Windows to forcibly shut down holding down the power button. Neither of those power off "tests" resulted in any problem in the drive. having purchased a $600 hard drive, and having chosen Intel and this drive not as much for speed but rather for Intel's stated SSD drive reliability and quality, I am as deeply concerned about the potential loss of data as everyone else.

Can anyone clarify this: If the 320 drive fails and registers 8 MB space, I gather Secure Erase has the potential of restoring the drive's capacity, but is the previously stored data restorable either by this method or any method known so far?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was able to reset and reformat my 320 using HDDErase (i.e. secure erase). No data recovered. I have been reading about this issue A LOT on many sites and I have not found one instance where the data was recovered. I really don't think it's possible to recover any data when it happens

So that's my problem.now. I haven't reinstalled my OS or anything on it since recovering & reformatting it. I'm just sitting on it. Do I really want to get the thing set up again when I know it can go at any time? There have been reports, even in this thread, of people having this problem with NO POWER LOSS.

Granted, any drive can go at any time - we all know that. Individual drives can have defects, etc. But if it's a KNOWN issue... So I'm leaning toward getting rid of this thing. Waiting to hear more from Intel...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My 1st drive was a zombie. It died, came back to life, and died again. It came back after sitting in the machine over night and then powering on. I probably powered on 2-5 times and then it was alive. A few hours after that, the machine randomly shut down and I was back to an 8MB drive. My 1st drive lasted about 6 hours of use. My second second drive is in week 2 and going strong. . . I don't trust it, I back up everynight and use google docs. The 2nd drive also had the same lot # & everything else, except serial # , as drive # 1.