cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRST 11.6 is bugged!

MSmit17
New Contributor

Don't you test your software before release it?

The 11.6 interface can't be opened, debug errors shows. All this under windows 7 ultimate 32 bits. Tested on two different pc's.

67 REPLIES 67

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sergey, OMGawd, you are right!!

I disabled the ASMedia chipset on my Z77 board (no RAID mode), which I was using with one drive connected, and now the IRST 11.6.0.1030 Windows GUI works!

It was driving me crazy, I had it working on one PC, and then it stopped working, but I did not realize that was caused by using a drive on the ASMedia controller SATA port. That seems like a strange issue, but as these things usually go, if you knew why it would make sense.

I wanted to use the IRST 11.6.0.1030 GUI on another Z77 PC, to experiment with different settings for a RAID 0 volume of SSDs, but it would not work. I changed to IRST 11.2.0.1006 and the GUI worked fine. But of course I had a drive on the ASMedia chipset on that board too. I haven't tried that PC yet, but I will now!

I am certain that the Z77 boards I am using (not Intel boards) have the ASMedia 1061 SATA III (cough) controller. They do not support RAID on the ASMedia chipset, only IDE and AHCI. So, this issue seems to be not simply related to the Marvell chipset.

Good call Sergey, I don't know how long if ever I would have figured that out!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, now I've got my second Z77 board with IRST 11.6.0.1030, and if the ASMedia SATA controller is enabled, the IRST GUI will not start, via any of the ways it can be executed. Disable the ASMedia controller, and the IRST GUI works fine.

I tried this on a fresh installation of Windows 7 64 bit, SP 1, the one available for sourceforge, installed from a USB flash drive. I installed IRST 11.6.0.1030 during the Load Driver phase of the Windows installation, and ran the full 11.6.0.1030 IRST installation program after the Windows installation. I also have .NET Framework 4.5 installed, as stated in the IRST ReadMe file. My point here is I did not have multiple versions of IRST installed, the registry was clean, ie, not full of multiple entries from changes. So that seems to point to an IRST bug or some problem with the UEFI/BIOS of my Z77 ASRock boards, yes latest UEFI version.

Not very annoying IMO, since I don't use the IRST GUI all the time, and I can get it back by either disabling the ASMedia SATA controller, or installing IRST 11.2. But, the GUI is a basic part of the package, and I doubt Intel is pleased with this situation. I'm really not thrilled with it either. I wonder if this happens with Intel's own boards that use Marvell SATA controllers?

MSmit17
New Contributor

I have the Asus p8z68 pro gen 3 who doesn't have any ASMedia SATA controllers, none of those latest drivers work. period.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your board does have the Marvell SATA III chipset, which causes the same issue as the ASMedia SATA III chipset. I'm sure it is enabled in your BIOS, and you may have drives connected to it. If you disable it, the GUI will work again, although that is not a great work-around.

MSmit17
New Contributor

No and no. i've got it disabled cause i don't use those ports (obviously i have nothing connected to them).

i've got microsoft .net framework 4 client profile.

i've got the latest chipset software inf file installer. 9.3

Still the same problem.