cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTEL, Where is our G1 TRIM support? Please answer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel,

Will you be providing G1 TRIM support in a future firmware upgrade for your early SSD adopters? Please give a yes or no answer.

Thank you,

Robert

Austin TX

38 REPLIES 38

redux, I'm all in favor of vendors adding features to previously released products. It happens all the time. But that doesn't mean that a manufacturer is obligated to do so.

I have no idea why Intel chooses to withhold TRIM from the G1 drives. I agree it would be a nice gesture on their part to the "early adopters" of this fast-moving technology, but it doesn't, in general, seem to be Intel's "style" to add features, based on my experience with other Intel hardware (motherboards and WiFi adapters.)

I do wish that the hardware side of Intel would become as customer-friendly as the software side generally is. The SSD group doesn't seem to participate in this forum, so look to the other support channels if you want a formal answer to your request.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No one's really asking them to "add a feature" except insofar as is necessary correct the original (denied, then admitted) defect/flaw/euphemism that substantially degrades the drives' performance.

It's kind of like you're saying Toyota is adding a feature to its accelerator pedals or something--I suppose that's one way of looking at it, and corporate PR might love to phrase it that way, but it's a rather disingenuously self-serving way to put it from a customer perspective.

Intel did fix the flaw in the initial G1 irmware that led to a dramatic performance decrease. Many professional reviewers who have been testing SSDs have reported that the Intel SSDs resisted long-term degradation better than those of most competitors. TRIM is another/better way of solving the problem over time, but it is not a correction for a defect.

Here are some good references on the issue:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3531 The SSD Anthology (AnandTech)

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=691 Intel Responds to Fragmentation with New X25-M Firmware (PC Perspective)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is there a way to manually do Trim on the G1s? Does something like Tony-Trim work?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, Intel does not let you TRIM Gen. 1 SSD's, and Tony-TRIM does not work on Intel SSD's (well, it works in a way, by giving you alot worse random performance).....