cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 330. Windows 7 freezes frequently after fresh installation

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had purchased intel SSD 330 120 Gb.

At first I installed in my desktop (AMD Board), a lot of time the SSD fail to be detected with SMART error.

After that I had it installed in my notebook. It worked, but frequently the windows freezes, I have to reboot, and it's ok. After that the problems comes again and I have to reboot again.

I had the SSD removed, then installed to another desktop (intel), the same problem comes up. I had to reboot to resolve the freezes. I could not get into the Internet when the windows freezes.

THis is very frustrating, I could not get tow work with three different machine. I have another SSD (OCZ),which work with my desktop and notebook.

Can anybody assist me on this.

I had done fresh installations on all three machine.

Can I proceed with RMA?

Thanks.

56 REPLIES 56

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I also just had a similar issue with a 330 series (180GB) but on a fresh Windows 8 Pro (RTM) install.

Then after rebooting, the OS did not boot. Trying to repair, reinstall Win8 or Win7 is not possible. SSD is detected, creating or deleting partition is possible, formating a partition is possible, but Windows doesn't want to write any bit on the SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Using a Thinkpad T61 here. Also having occasional freezes for roughly 30secs. Very annoying.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Also had the freezing issue initially, but found the solution now. The reason seems to be some incompatibility with a power saving feature called DIPM. This is a common problem and there are plenty of pages describing this fix, such as http://www.iishacks.com/2012/10/14/fixing-an-ssd-freezing-on-windows-7/ http://www.iishacks.com/2012/10/14/fixing-an-ssd-freezing-on-windows-7/

The .reg file method described there didn't work for me, but the easiest way is just to start regedit and make sure the three values are set to 0 for all ports.

Be careful when returning to Intel SSD Toolbox. SSD Toolbox Tuner wants to turn on DIPM again, and if you agree it will reset the registry values again. I did that, and the freezing promptly returned again after a reboot. Had to go back to registry and disabled the values again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have disabled DIPM through the .reg file. It does reduce the freeze frequency. However, I still notice it frequently freeze after resume from hibernation and cold boot. Interestingly, there's will be almost no freeze after 2-3 times warm reboot. I do not understand how and why this occurs.

I have a windows 7 64bit OS installed on Dell XPS m1330 laptop. I think I will just return it and get a SSD from another brand. Originally I thought intel has the best quality SSD, but they really let me down this time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Was having similar issues with my intel 330 drive with an AMD motherboard.

To fix it was just a matter of installing the latest AMD AHCI drivers (fhttp://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx ound here)