cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of RAID adapters or SATA 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Still an SSD noob, but I have seen posts in other forums where people are using higher end RAID adapters such as those from areca

with cache memory to boost performance. Do these adapters really good performance of SSDs much, epsecially when configured in a RAID array? I also see that new SATA 6 motherboards are beginning to emerge - will running these drives see any benefit running on a SATA 6 board? If I could choose between adding a dedicated RAID adapter with cache such as the ARC-1220 or upgrade to a SATA 6 board sometime in 2010, which would provide a greater SSD boost (if any)? I am currently running 2 X25-M's in RAID0 @ ~503 MB/sec seq read and plan to add a 3rd.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

DZand
Contributor III

What is "SATA 6"?

I thought, that the upcoming SATA standard is SATA 3.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I believe it is SATA 3 but commonly referred to as SATA 6 (6 Gbps/s Third generation)

Mike

DZand
Contributor III

@ Firstlight:

I doubt, that you will get an answer here.

There are only a few Intel X25-M G2 SSD owners, who are running 2 of them as RAID0. It would be a surprise for me, if anyone of them has already a mainboard, ehich supports SATA 3.

As far as I know there is no big advantage to use an Areca Controller with Postville SSD's on usual mainboards, which just support the SATA 2 standard.

By the way: My Intel ICH10R system, which is running with 2x160 GB X25-M G2 SSD's, is extremely fast (up to 570 MB/sec read speeds) and I don't see any reason for buying a new system.

Regards

Fernando