cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive does not boot after running the optimizer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows 7, 64 bit. After a clean install, I ran the optimizer on my X25-M 80gb SSD. On the next boot, the drive does not boot. BIOS detects the drive ok, but it will not boot from it.

I am considering running a windows repair on it to rewrite the MBR, but thought I would check here before changing anything. I would like to avoid another install if I can.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I tried manually selecting the drive from the boot selection screen.

I will hopefully know more after I run a repair to see if the partition still exists, and rewrite the mbr.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I reinstalled Windows 7 (x64) last night, and everything was fine. I installed all my drivers for my MB, video, etc. I also installed the SSD Optimizer and ran it. Rebooted and everything worked brilliantly.

However, this morning I did a reboot to install 56 Windows Updates, and not it wont boot again at all. It is a bit different, this time it throws a windows boot screen with an error.

My Intel motherboard is 2 years old, so I am going to do firmware updates to it, and the SSD, and try again. If it doesn't work right after that, guess its going back to the store.

This appears to be my issue:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/c7d0e86a-ba10-4bcc-a3fa-6eaad3c7981... http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/c7d0e86a-ba10-4bcc-a3fa-6eaad3c7981...

Any thoughts?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Since it seems it is the Windows updates that are causing your problem and that they first occurred around January 4, you could try reinstalling Windows once again and only installing MS updates prior to December 2010. At that point I would also shut down automatic updates and see if the system remains stable for a reasonable time period.

Then you would have to challenge of identifying the offending MS update so that you can continue to protect your system. I would suggest using a decent disk imaging system capable of maintaining your alignment. Such a system would provide, not only an excellent backup but also quick and fast recovery if there is any corruption in your OS. Personally I use Acronis 2011 but there other disk imaging programs including Paragon etc. In fact if you choose to do this and use a disk imaging system, I would create the disk image immediately after the install Windows 7 so that you always have a fresh install to revert to in the future.

No matter what, best of luck.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I read that thread on MS that you posted, but it didn't seem to have a resolution to the situation. I have two PCs with X-25 M 80GB SSDs, both with Windows 7 64 bit (Home Premium), and I've installed all the MS updates except for the Windows Live Essentials optional updates, since I don't use any of that. One PC/OS install is about six months old, the other about three months old. The older one is on an Intel mother board too. So if it is one of the updates that is causing the problem maybe my experience might offer a clue.

Perhaps we should see what storage mode and drivers you are using, meaning IDE, AHCI, RAID, and if you've loaded any storage driver, such as Intel's RST. I will say that my Intel mother board had a somewhat flaky BIOS that was updated quite a few times but it's problems were unrelated to the storage sub-system.