cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the Intel(R) RSTe drivers v3.0.x.xxxx support the Trim command?

DZand
Contributor III

Owners of an X79 chipset mainboard need to use the new Intel(R) RSTe drivers (actual version: 3.0.0.2003 WHQL) instead of the RST ones.

Since the Intel(R) RSTe drivers of the v3.0 series do handle the SSD's as "SCSI Disk Devices" I am wondering, if these drivers really pass through the Trim command to the SSD. This question is only valid for Win7 systems running in AHCI mode.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, point noted. Thanks for drawing attention to this. Hopefully, it will be addressed.

RSTe 3.0 does support TRIM on passthrough drives only. It does not support TRIM on RAID volumes.

DZand
Contributor III

az-djt schrieb:

RSTe 3.0 does support TRIM.

Do you have any evidence for the validity of your statement?

These are the reasons for my doubts:

1. TRIM is an ATA and not an SCSI command (the related SCSI command would be "UNMAP"). Contrary to the regular RST drivers the Enterprise Edition (RSTe) driverpacks contain an additional "Filter Driver" named iaStorF.sys, which handles all associated disk drives as SCSI ones. That is the reason why the Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controllers are listed within the "Storage Controllers" section of the Device Manager after the installation of the RSTe drivers, whereas the regular RST drivers will show them as "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers".
  2. After the installation of Intel's RSTe drivers v3.0.x.xxxx the "Optimizer" of the Intel SSD Toolbox doesn't work. That shows, that even the manual execution of the TRIM command has been blocked by the RSTe drivers.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Has anyone confirmed for definite if Intel RSTe does or does not pass on TRIM either to a pass through drive or a RAID volume? I have a single SSD installed as a non RAID volume and 2 x WDD 'raptors in RAID0. The trim command has been set correctly by Windows 7 upon install, but does the TRIM get passed on by the Intel RSTe drivers to my non RAID0 volume SSD? I find it utterly bizarre that Intel make this whole issue so mysterious, it either does or does not support trim in pass through drives/raid volumes. Can anyone clarify for certain?

DZand
Contributor III

frozenreads schrieb:

I have a single SSD installed as a non RAID volume and 2 x WDD 'raptors in RAID0. The trim command has been set correctly by Windows 7 upon install, but does the TRIM get passed on by the Intel RSTe drivers to my non RAID0 volume SSD?

I am pretty sure, that all Intel's RSTe drivers v3.x.x.xxxx do support TRIM unless the SSDs are member of a RAID array.

You can easily verify it yourself by doing a simple TRIM test. Here you can find a guide: /www.station-drivers.com • Afficher le sujet - Tuto: Easy TRIM test method http://www.station-drivers.com • Afficher le sujet - Tuto: Easy TRIM test method