cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Intel's new RST AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM?

DZand
Contributor III

Win7 users with an Intel chipset mainboard and Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, who successfully have flashed the actually withdrawn Postville SSD Firmware, want to take advantage of the TRIM command support, but there still are some restrictions:

1. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager drivers (last official v8.9.0.1023) do not support the TRIM command. The only available SATA drivers, which do fully support the TRIM command, are the Win7 generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

2. SSD's running in "RAID Mode" neither do support the TRIM command nor can be "cleaned" by Intel's new SSD Toolbox.

So here is my question:

Do or will the upcoming Intel AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support the TRIM command?

I ask this, because I am already running the brandnew and WHQL certified RST driver v9.5.0.1037 (available at Station-drivers since 13th October) with my 2x160 GB Intel Postville SSD RAID0 system and got a really amazing performance boost.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 with Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (no OC)

HDD's: 2x160 GB Intel X25-M G2 as RAID0

RAM: 4x2 GB J.Skill PC2-8500

114 REPLIES 114

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel just released the new Intel Rapid Storage 9.6.0.1014 WHQL and I read that they support TRIM, can someone confirm?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, where did you read that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

First, please excuse my poor english.

My answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY YES, the automatic TRIM feature works perfectly with the new RST version !!!! And even better than the standard msahci !!!

I fully tested it and it works:

1/ Within a ACHI SATA configuration

2/ Within a AHCI SATA / RAID configuration BUT !!!!!!!!! with NON-RAID DRIVES. In a such configuration the performances of all the devices are even better (thanks to raid). So I strongly recommend to everyone to switch to Ahci Sata/Raid configuration (with or whitout Raid volumes).

In fact I did not test a SSD RAID volume(s) configuration (i mean two or more drives in the same RAID volume), simply because I have only one SSD !!

To correctly intall all the fonctionnalities just follow strictly the Intel recommandations ( I mean do not trust any garbage advises such modifying registry or others stuffs). Just read accurately the Intel README file.

Be carefull to download the right Intel drivel which is RST (and not anymore Matrix).

I hope it will help everyone.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello.

Just done a new Windows 7 64bit with the Gen 2 160GB SSD using the new Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 driver for the ICH9R AHCI Controller. Get the following bench results:

New to SSD do these figures look ok?

Thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes. Better than correct. You are on the hardware limits off SSD performances.