cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Intel's new RST AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM?

DZand
Contributor III

Win7 users with an Intel chipset mainboard and Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, who successfully have flashed the actually withdrawn Postville SSD Firmware, want to take advantage of the TRIM command support, but there still are some restrictions:

1. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager drivers (last official v8.9.0.1023) do not support the TRIM command. The only available SATA drivers, which do fully support the TRIM command, are the Win7 generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

2. SSD's running in "RAID Mode" neither do support the TRIM command nor can be "cleaned" by Intel's new SSD Toolbox.

So here is my question:

Do or will the upcoming Intel AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support the TRIM command?

I ask this, because I am already running the brandnew and WHQL certified RST driver v9.5.0.1037 (available at Station-drivers since 13th October) with my 2x160 GB Intel Postville SSD RAID0 system and got a really amazing performance boost.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 with Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (no OC)

HDD's: 2x160 GB Intel X25-M G2 as RAID0

RAM: 4x2 GB J.Skill PC2-8500

114 REPLIES 114

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Fernando,

Thanks for your input and info sharing. I'm thinking of Raid 0 for 2-80G X-25 M G2s. (Currently running as individual drives, 1-Win7 64-bit, the other for some apps, data.). I too use the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R. As your aware there are 6-orange-colored Sata ports, and 2-Gigabyte JMicron Sata2 purple-colored RAID ports. I have 2-SSDs on orange port 0 and port 1 and 2- WDC Harddrives and 1-BluRay reader on the other orange-colored Sata ports. Which ports are you using for SSD Raid array? (Can't find any refrence to SSD mentioned at Gigabyte support.)

(Sorry if this was asked earlier)

sidg

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just realized (to comment on my earlier post regarding my RAID 0 500gig * 2 drives), that my array is only showing 500 gigs now instead of 1000 (which it was on my previous OS build). It shows also as "uninitialized" in the Bios but also "bootable".

When i try to verify data in MSM it tells me it needs to be initialized first! LOL, the data is usable on this drive... any thoughts or advice here? I'll move this to another thread so as to not hijack.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks sidg, will try pagefile on ssd. Guess it makes sense!

DZand
Contributor III

sidg schrieb:

I have 2-SSDs on orange port 0 and port 1 and 2- WDC Harddrives and 1-BluRay reader on the other orange-colored Sata ports. Which ports are you using for SSD Raid array?

You have already connected the 2 SSD's to the best possible ports (Intel SATA ports 0 and 1).

What I would change is the connection of the BlueRay Reader. It is better to use one of the JMicron ports for this device, because optical drives do not like to run in AHCI or RAID Mode. This way you will never get problems while booting off any CD/DVD/BlueRay Disk.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

sidg, I've read the MS blog on SSD and yes, of course it makes sense to leave the pagefile on SSD in terms of performance but I'd be worried that this will contribute significantly to the wear on the drive? The MS guy steps around this issue. I've put the paging file onto a VelociRaptor and to be honest I can't see any noticible difference from when it was on the SSD originally. Way I see it is if you have the spare storage (as I know dokh has) why not use it to ease some of the write burden on the SSD, especially if there is little or no performance loss.