cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Intel's new RST AHCI/RAID drivers support TRIM?

DZand
Contributor III

Win7 users with an Intel chipset mainboard and Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, who successfully have flashed the actually withdrawn Postville SSD Firmware, want to take advantage of the TRIM command support, but there still are some restrictions:

1. Intel's Matrix Storage Manager drivers (last official v8.9.0.1023) do not support the TRIM command. The only available SATA drivers, which do fully support the TRIM command, are the Win7 generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

2. SSD's running in "RAID Mode" neither do support the TRIM command nor can be "cleaned" by Intel's new SSD Toolbox.

So here is my question:

Do or will the upcoming Intel AHCI/RAID drivers of the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (RST) support the TRIM command?

I ask this, because I am already running the brandnew and WHQL certified RST driver v9.5.0.1037 (available at Station-drivers since 13th October) with my 2x160 GB Intel Postville SSD RAID0 system and got a really amazing performance boost.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando

My system:

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (P45 with Intel ICH10R Southbridge)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (no OC)

HDD's: 2x160 GB Intel X25-M G2 as RAID0

RAM: 4x2 GB J.Skill PC2-8500

114 REPLIES 114

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Can't find it - I can only see the ICH9R controller, with my Velociraptor, Raid set, 'external' hdd (via esata ports, but connected directly to the onboard sata ports via a bracket) and DVD/RW listed under it, which are all my devices connected to the sata ports onboard my mobo. Maybe it's a limitation of my motherboard? It's an asus p5k-e.

I guess in the end it doesn't really matter - as long as the optimizer works!

DZand
Contributor III

The Intel storage driver named IASTOR.SYS is both an AHCI and RAID driver.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there

I read this thread and I'm looking for a confirmation on the setup I'm planning...

I got a G2 SSD (newest firmware etc.), two normal 7200rpm hdds and an optical drive.. I plan to use a RAID0 for the two hdds and so the P55 controller has to be set to RAID mode.

So it would look like this maybe:

SATA0: SSD (should it be on SATA 0 or 1 ?)

SATA2-3 : 2x HDDs RAID 0

SATA4: optical drive

So after the installation of Win 7 Prof. x64, what software, drivers do I need?

I have read about the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (no trim support), the SSD Toolkit (no update available at the moment), the MS AHCI drivers (would they work with this setup?) and some other wierd Intel driver ?... and I wonder:

1. What do I have to install right now to have TRIM support (and is it manually oder native)

2. Do I have to wait for the new toolkit and is the toolkit only necessary, if there is no automatic trimming ?

3. If Intel MSM is updated, is it the only thing I would need in the end ?

Thanks for your help anyway

With regards

Arcticus

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You can't use the MS AHCI driver since the controller must be in RAID mode. You should use the intel drivers.

1. Intel drivers and the intel SSD toolbox (you can perform the TRIM manually w/ the toolbox or set it up as auto-TRIM on a schedule. It will not auto TRIM after a delete or format the way it would with the MS drivers).

2. No, you don't have to wait for the new toolkit - I'm using the old toolkit w/ the new 02hD firmware - it works fine. There is a bug w/ system restore apparently - but I don't use that. You may want to wait for the new toolkit if you're concerend.

3. You don't have to wait for the new intel drivers - the current version will work fine w/ the toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My setup:

• Win7 64 on a Dell Studio XPS 9000 (435t) - Intel Chipset ICH10R I guess

• x-25mg2 with new HD firmware

• Latest Intel Storage Matrix Driver: 8.9.0.1023

• BIOS set to RAID to support a dual 500g seagate RAID 0 previously built on last win7 install before i got my SSD this week

• SSD as OS drive -- NOT RAID

• I don't have the toolbox installed

To get the SSD updated, i had to switch to ACHI. Once firmware was installed, i switched back to RAID in the BIOS.

I just did a reinstall of windows 7 on the SSD, and did not install the Intel Matrix driver from Dell because it prompted me saying the drive i had installed (windows 7 included driver i guess) was newer than the one from dell. Everything was working fine, my RAID 0 was visible, etc without installing the newest Intel Driver... BUT i went and downloaded 8.9.0.1023 anyway and now the ICH10R is the only driver showing in the storage controllers section (instead of the 3 ide drivers showing previously).

My questions are:

1. How do I tell what driver is controlling the SSD. I assume its the Intel, but if i open the properties of the SSD, in the driver section is says Microsoft Driver 6.1.7600.16385 --- but so does the ARRAY (of the 2 500 gig HDs).

2. Since this is not running as a RAID, its just attached to the intel sata that is set to RAID in the bios, what are the implications?

3. Will windows issue the TRIM or will Intel?

4. Should i roll back to the previous setup to GET windows to do the TRIM?

5. Is there a way to leave the latest storage manager and set the SSD to use the Windows Driver?

6. What is the suggested resolution for my situation?

Thanks!