cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration and disk partitions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just recently bought an Intel SSD, 320 series 120 GB. I plan on using Intel's data migration to make the switch from my old HDD. However one thing I am not sure about is how the data migration software is going to handle my current HDD's partitions. I have three partitions in total, I dual boot XP on two of these partitions, and the third is just there for random storage.

My current HDD is 320 GB, here is the sizes for each partition:

Partition 1 - 136 GB (29 GB used)

Partition 2 - 171 GB (14 GB used)

Partition 3 - 12 GB (3 GB used)

So how exactly does the data migration handle partitions? Obviously due to the size of my HDD and the smaller size of the SSD, it won't be able to make a direct clone of the space allocated for each partition. So will I be able to choose how much GB each partition gets on the SSD, or it is all automatic?

Also how are the drive letters handled? Do they remain the same after the clone?

Appreciate the help.

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Come on, anybody? I got my drive today and will likely be installing it tonight. What am I to do about my partitions? Because even if the data migration software can handle the partitions and shrink them to scale, I want to modify the size manually since I originally allotted way too much for one of the partitions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, thanks to all the wonderful help i have received on this forum (yes, that is sarcasm people) I have answered my own question. Since nobody was willing to help, or just did not know, I did everything the hard way. Which was basically backing up my entire system to another HDD and then adjusting my partitions on my main HDD to accommodate the size of the SSD using EASEUS Partition Master.

Long story short, YES there is options in the Intel data migration software that allows for adjusting partition size. Basically when you start the software and click the 'Start Now' button you get two options. One is the automatic guided approach, and the other is the manual approach which lets you adjust the partitions to your liking. This manual approach might be missed easily, but it is labeled 'Clone Wizard' on the bottom left of the main 'Start Now' procedure screen. Once you enter the clone wizard you go through a few steps and then you can adjust your partition size on the second to last step. They don't make it obvious, but if you right-click on the drives (in the second to last step) you can click 'Edit' which allows for custom partition sizing.

So yeah, if you have multiple partitions and would like to resize them manually with the Intel Migration Software, it can be done. And just for anybody wondering, I am dual-booting XP with my two partitions (reduced from three to save on GB's) with no problems at all on my new Intel 320 series 120GB SSD. .

Anywho, I hope somebody finds this info useful sometime in the future. As there was NO info on this when I started searching. And obviously this forum is USELESS for any real help.

EDIT: BTW, drive letters are identical after the clone.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Im sorry you havent had any help on here but your post has been helpfull for me as a first time SSD purchaser. You say you can dual boot but have you tried running the Intel SSD Toolbox Optimizer to manually TRIM your drives ? I had read somewhere else that if it detects you have 2 partitions that are bootable you won't be able to run the Optimizer which I find stupid.

Thanks for your time.

Matt.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The Intel Optimizer that executes TRIM works great, I haven't had any problems with my XP dual boot setup yet. In fact when you start the Optimizer it shows all of your computers disks and partitions, whatever ones that are on the Intel SSD will be blue, and you can run TRIM on both of them from one partition if you like, either manually or by scheduling.

Intel recommends running the Optimizer once a week, however I have mine scheduled to run on both SSD partitions daily.