cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I forgot to descibe the symptoms. I was browsing some folders in windows explorer when that window stopped responding. I waited a minute and it was still unresponsive, so I opened a new one and the entire explorer (including taskbar) stopped responding and ctrl+alt+del / ctrl+alt+esc weren't doing anything, but notepad was working, I could type on it (I already had it open before this happened).

I noticed the HDD led was fully on, and waited until it turned off completely to reboot the computer by holding the power button. At the next boot the hdd was bricked.

Hi whatsupdoc,

In Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista, Superfetch tracks and copies your most frequently used applications to system memory to reduce load times. Superfetch is based on the similar Prefetch feature available in Windows XP. Superfetch/Prefetch is not needed on an Intel SSD and should be disabled for optimal performance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My 120Gb 320 Series SSD also just died on me with the same issue as everyone else. I have two of these drives that are no more than 3 months old retail boxed versions which supposedly have the fixed firmware. I just backed up everything from the other drive. Has anyone recieved a solution to this issue?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok. After reading all the post about ths issue and having 7 out of 120-1300 drives fail, finding out that they have about a 15% failure I am getting very nervous about the drives we have installed. I have sent an email support call to Intel. Our company is big enough that we can put a little weight behind it so we shall see what happens. I have saved this post to my favorites and will update as often as I hear from them. Wish me luck.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Recently I bought a 320 G3 SSD since I thought that the 8mb bug was resolved with the latest firmware. Now I see that it is not so.

I would appreciate if Intel would provide the definitive instructions on the drive maintenance in order for us to avoid the bug if this is possible.

I see that power saving options were in question but people who had disabled these options in the OS and were properly shutting down their computers still faced the bug. People with UPS and new power supplies also.

Last note was that the drive should not be filled more than 75% of its total capacity. Is this true?

Intel, it is your call.