cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

FKhan6
New Contributor

I have had two 600 GB drive fail both with latest firmware. First one was RA by intel (very efficiently). But the problem happened on the new unit as well. Tried to escalate the issue with intel but did not get anywhere.

Here is what I got back from intel:

With regards to your inquiry, you may refer to our FAQ posted on Intel Communities website:

/thread/24121 http://communities.intel.com/thread/24121

Here's a part taken from the website:

What should I do if I have not experienced this issue?

To minimize occurrence, if a system requires a shut down, Intel recommends using that system's standard power shut down sequence. As with any storage device, Intel recommends users frequently back up their data. Download and install the new firmware when it is available. As with our previous firmware updates, a secure erase is not required.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Have decided to cut my losses, and go with another brand.

FKhan6
New Contributor

Update. As I still had the "8mb SSD" I decided to do a secure erase and it came back to life. In the meantime my notebooks motherboard died. I couldnt find the exact same motherboard so I got the next gen up which thankfully was still compatible with the chasis/cpu/ram. So I replaced the mb and also put in the ssd. Installed os and apps; Its been more than a month and have had no problems at all. Even had a sudden power loss when the battery came loose as I had not put the holding clips in corretectly when I took the notebook apart. It booted up fine.

Perviously the SSD died just a few days after installation. So either the secure erase did something or there was some issue with the older motherboard. I would suggest everyone here to try to put your ssd in a newer machine to see if it make a difference.

I will post another update in a few months time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Still brickin' on my iMac. Try to avoid filling the drive. Problems appear at every level (hardware, OS) when boot drives are more than 75% full. Time machine saved my skin this time. To unfreeze the drive and do a secure erase, I booted XBMCbuntu from xbmc.org, and did suspend and resume. Big thanks go to a random guy on the internet for pointing that out! No other Linux livecd I could find would resume properly, meaning the alternative is to rip apart the iMac.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I bought my Intel 320 series 120 gig SSD back on 12/26/11. All was well until it blew up today due to this 8mb bug. I was on the latest firmware of motherboard and SSD. I can safely say I will never buy another Intel SSD. If you have one of these drives back up everything and put the drive in the trash ASAP.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I lost all confidence in the Intel SSD 320 series and especially the Intel support.

Therefore I sold my 320 series 80GB SSD and replaced it with a Crucial m4 128GB SSD.