cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is what I'm considering as well, selling my 320 for an m4. This is ridiculous. Why is Intel silent on this issue now? Did they stop reading these threads?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Mine got bricked just last night! good to find there are others who had a similar issue.

I bought my drive around second quarter last year and heard this bricking issue a few months later and proceeded to update the firmware as soon as I got the time before I actually got affected by this.

Well, surprise, surprise! That first firmware update to fix this issue didn't solve the problem and this time around I got hit! I got this drive partitioned to hold my mac and another partition for windows. am not, too, fuzzed about my os x side since i have time machine for that but my windows partition is what i'm worried. is there anyway to recover the data without having to "secure erase" the drive, update, etc....? i do 't understand why go the erase route in the first place. at least for regular hard disk you have data recovery vendors to that.

I'm starting to doubt SSD reliability here specially this coming from intel, since my main reason to switching to ssd drives are that - reliability! and my drive's barely just a year from use!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed the 120GB 320SSD around Christmas and used it as the primary drive. It was working like a charm until it randomly crashed while my wife was using it, threw up a quick BSOD, and rebooted. After this point, it would only boot to the secondary drive (had not formatted it in case of issues like this) and now both Disk Management and Intel SSD Toolbox see it as an 8MB drive. I am unable to Secure Erase the drive, as it says it is security locked, and I have tried reseating the drive to reset it.

What is the process of getting a return authorization for these drives? Complete failure after 3 months is pretty unbelievable, especially for a drive that you pay extra for their reliability.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My experience is similar to aaedaien and others. Bricked 320. Installed firmware uodate. Random "drive not found errors."

Now it is bricked again with the 8MB error but this time it is not recoverable using the toolbox.

It would be nice to have a fix.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

i also have the same experience as above.

Mine is a brand new 160G 320 ssd i get in November 2011, with latest firmware(same as the bug fix firmware).

Installed on Asus laptop as primary OS hard disk, doesn't have any blue screen, the laptop suddenly go black and get error message like "the boot drive is no longer found, please insert new boot device".

The drive caught 8mb brick bug with Error 16X(will put the picture up later) and i manage to secure erase with Parted Magic linux live usb drive boot debug tool. It's not recoverable using the toolbox because it need to power cycle it before secure erase, the toolbox is not able to do so.(poor program)

is that i still can RMA after i regain the disk space?

i doesn't trust the drive any more because all my valuable data in it is gone. Please provide a fix.