Did you mean: 

AHCI Drivers for Intel 510 120 GB SSD?

DSchr2
New Contributor

Background:

1) ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard

2) AMD 6-Core CPU

3) Intel 510 120 GB SSD set up on SATA Port # 1, all SATA Ports on AHCI

The ASUS AHCI drivers that come with the motherboard result in my being told that my Intel SSD is RAID Configured. It is not RAID Configured.

(Note: It must be the ASUS SATA drivers for the Crosshair V, as I do not have this problem on my Crosshair IV.) 

It is a single SSD for Win 7 64 bit and Programs.

What AHCI drivers are best, then, for a single 510 SSD?

Intel, MIcrosoft, ASUS - and which specifically?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wish I could answer your question, the solutions that I posted were from others. THEY are the ones with the knowledge! Your question is a good one, and I will have to research for an answer. If I find the solution, I will post it here!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Ian, but I'm not a super-expert. First, it's not the SSD's fault that TRIM does not reach it when it is used in a RAID array. It's the difference in the way the data is stored in drives in a RAID array versus the standard, single drive, file system method. The file information a TRIM command has does not apply to the way the file is stored in the RAID array, and apparently translating or applying it is difficult or impossible. Since the TRIM command in this case is useless, it is blocked or discarded. Since this is independent of an SSDs function, it happens with all SSDs.

Garbage collection (GC) is a part of an SSD's controller software (firmware) and performs the same type of function as the TRIM command, and others. It usually operates when the SSD is idle, when it has a chance to perform it's work. It's not a given that a SSD's firmware has a GC function, but many do although that may not be stated in a SSD's specs.

Does a SSD using only GC maintain it's performance as well as when it receives TRIM commands? Very difficult to say, since the GC used by each SSD manufacture will be different, along with many other details of a SSD's operation. Given all the variables in the RAID/SSD/SSD Firmware equation, we can see how very general, high level questions like yours, although important, are impossible to answer, without actually seeing how such a system functions over an appropriate period of time. How often do we see in forums statements like, "... my ABC123 is not working with the ZYX987, it's junk... ", while you have the same components, and they work fine.

Another question is does a SSD's GC function work fine with data stored on it in RAID format, in contrast to the standard format? What about different RAID types, 0, 1, 5, etc?

Having GC on a SSD is better than not, and it can keep it working better in the absence of TRIM. The difference between GC and TRIM is something I don't fell competent enough to comment on. It is not a given that it will be a disadvantage not having TRIM with SSDs in a RAID array. People use SSDs in RAID arrays and get great performance, but do we know whether or not they need to perform maintenance on them all the time to sustain that performance? What about the details, which SSDs are used, which RAID type, OS or data on the drives, type of system usage, etc.

The best I can tell you is while I have not seen many complaints about SSDs in RAID arrays deteriorating in performance immediately and absolutely. You'll need to see how it goes for you, work with it if necessary, and discover what works for you and others.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is really simple, if you don't already have AHCI enabled, do exactly what Hardlign said . If in the Crosshair IV bios it is set to SATA IDE mode and want to switch to AHCI. He is correct. I found that the AMD drivers did not perform as well as the win 7 built in one's from microsoft, which will auto install after the regedit and bios change is done. Actually they are already installed on yoru hard drive but not in use, unless you had AHCI enabled when Win 7 was loaded on the drive. You must do what he posted in the first part if it was not.

You should put your hard drives on sata ports 1-4. And any cd-dvd rom drives on sata 5-6. There is no need for raid unless you just want to do it.

Once the Intel SSD 510 is installed, you can go to Intel and download their Intel SSD tool box. this tool will optimize the ssd and do the trim for you,even though it should already be enabled in win 7. run this tool about once a week. I have 450 gig Raptors running and used the Intel Data Migration Software Tool, to clone my raptor over to the Intel SSD 510 120 gig, which is also Free and it in all context is the Acronis Migrate Easy tool. Works very well.

This Intel 510, seemed to get faster after i ran the ToolBox on it a couple of times. Remember to use it , do not use another defrag tool on it.

Mine runs great and very reliable. Hope this helped.