cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

330 SSD Random Freezes

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello

I purchased an Intel 330 SSD 60 GB. The main reason I did so was to replace myOCZ Vertex 3 SSD that was unreliable. I decided that I will go with Intel brandSSD for my operating system disk and ocz as my spare gaming, program disk. WellI started getting the bad freezes its very random I would leave my pc on andwhen I got to work I couldn't connect remotely to it. After I got back home I discoveredthat its frozen. Everything would be on but the disk led on my case would notblink no I/O device would work. Only thing left was hard reset. In even viewerthere was a critical error associated to unexpected shutdown kernel power 41.There was no other error that would refer to the freeze. The other dayeverything was fine I was able to connect remotely while at work, I got backhome everything was fine. I wanted to play some when I double click on the iconsystem froze. I got mad I think maybe it's my Geforce 680 GTX but i have like850W PSU so can't be. I had all the Intel Drivers Installed including RST and Management.As someone suggested I uninstalled the RST driver and will see if there is anyissues

My Sytem

INTEL CORE I5 2500K @ 4.6 GHZ

ASRock Z68Extreme 7 (G3)

MSI 680 GTX Lightning OC

8GB @ 1600 |CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Intel 330 SSD 60 GB SATA III

Vertex 3 SSD 120 GB SATA III

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d Case

Windows 7 SP1

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you use the Intel SSD Toolbox? It is a free download that will help you maintain your SSD, and also tune your PC for use with a SSD. That might help with your problem.

I also suggest you change your Windows Power Option to High Performance, and in the Advanced options, in Hard Disk, set Turn off disk after to Never.

As odd as this may sound, have you ever run the Windows Experience Index utility, under Performance Options and Tools? It may have run on its own, but if you have no score, run it. That will tell Windows you have a SSD, and it will change some settings automatically.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Thank You

for looking into my issue.

Whatever you suggested was done. After fresh windows install At first I haven't spotted my issue

because I was turning off my pc. The other day I decided to keep it up runningfor a week or so to see how reliable it is. And that was a time when I startobserving freezes that force me to do the hard reset and create a kernel power 41critical error cause of unexpected shutdown. Now I read a lot of guides andbeen to many forums it seems like some people have issue with Intel's very ownIRST Driver and suggest uninstalling it. I did so myself and my pc is now goingfor 48 h + run that includes idle time, playing music, Photoshop work andplaying GPU demanding games MAXED OUT in dx11.

The IRST driver that I had was 10.8.0.1003 I see now that Version 11.x.x.xxxx is available to

download but to be honest I want to see how far my pc goes without the freeze Withoutthese drivers. I have very good hardware components and I very much doubt that any of them might be a problem.

Plus I haven't noticed any performance differences without the drive according

to ATTO Disk benchmark speeds are same or very close to close to tell.

Thanks