cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

320 / 600 GB in Proliant DL380/G7 - shows as overheating

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just installed 5 of these in a RAID configuration on a test server. Working perfectly, except:

The server is reporting that the drives are overheating (they're not). It appears that possibly I can turn OFF DIPM on these drives and the SMART info will be reported correctly.

How do I do that?

FYI, running windows 2008 r2

Thanks,

Rob

46 REPLIES 46

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Will it solve the problem if adding a Intel RAID controller?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is aN HP error.

We use Non intel SSD and get the same issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same issue here with Intel 510 and 320 series.

I will watch this thread for any solution in the near future

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am the OP on this. I recently upgraded this box's BIOS, as well as some other items. I am no longer getting twice daily alerts that the drives are overheating. I have not yet been brave enough to turn back on the function where the box shuts down if it detects the overheating.

The BIOS I installed was 2011.05.05 (6 Jul 2011)

I also updated the array controller to 5.06, and updated some other miscellaneous stuff.

It is possible that HP has fixed this.

Rob

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm glad to hear that HP has probably stepped up to the plate and addressed the problem, since truly it is within their BIOS/firmwares. However, it would be good to know what piece of the puzzle fixed the problem for you -- was it the system BIOS upgrade, the storage/array firmware upgrade, or "other miscellaneous stuff" which did it? I'm certain other ProLiant owners will want to know.

However, I also look forward to Intel (hopefully) removing advertisement of SCT tables in their SSDs. A firmware update (for the SSDs) should fix that as well.