cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Intel 750 Slow to boot?

RLaBa1
New Contributor II

Howdy Everyone. Just picked up the Intel 750 1.2TB SSD card. Installed it on my X99 Asus Rampage V board and installed Windows 7 X64 without a problem. However, I am seeing a boot performance issue. This drive is taking about 25 seconds to boot, approximately 13 seconds longer than my Samsung 850 EVO. Did a little Googling on this and apparently, I am not the only one. I have read several reviews and the ones that measure boot time / performance will say this is the slowest SSD to boot. I have provided the link below as an example.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5 Intel's 750 Series solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 5

Intel - Is this going to be fixed in a future firmware release? I wont be able to justify keeping this card if first generation SSD's still outperform in terms of booting.

Thanks,

Randman76

X99 Rampage V

I-7 5960X OC to 4.4 ghz

Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)

980 GTX-SLI

1200W PSU

162 REPLIES 162

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello XORROR,

I am not familiar with the RAIDR Express SSD, so I could not refer to its capabilities and the tests advertised for that drive. However, it makes sense that a system using a PCIe (NVMe or other) would boot faster than a computer using a standard HDD.

The Intel® SSD 750 is designed according to NVMe* standards, which can be found in the website: http://www.nvmexpress.org/ NVM Express

The measured/tested performance of the Intel® SSD 750 is available in page 8 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-750-spec.pdf Product Specification:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Jonathan!

I'm not exactly what I meant, I'm interested in the result of discussion threads about this, as it was time to load, and how much was the new version of the firmware, there must be some kind of standard (PC system) at which the test? And what will get results.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello XORROR,

We do not handle a specific time to boot, since it depends a lot on other factors and system components, not only on the SSD.

In my opinion, the best source for this type of data would be other users from the community, for example, Matrix_Leader reported a 7 second improvement from the moment the system shows the Windows Loading icon (from 15 seconds to 8 seconds).

EEsca1
New Contributor II

Hello. Just updated to the new firmware on my Windows 10 Pro installation. Sadly, while I do believe I see some small improvement, I do not see the kind of 40-50%improvement previously reported. I do have the latest NVMe driver installed (1.3.0.1007). Benchmarks are roughly what they should be once I'm going so I think I have everything installed properly. Just didn't see a lot of improvement unfortunately. No real difference after the Windows 10 spinning dot logo appears, that logo will completely spin around between 3 and 3.5 times before I get the login screen. Might be a bit faster getting up to that point (the initial post), but probably not by more than a second or three. Can you tell us if the improvement is supposed to be before or after Windows starts loading?

Still, the effort is very much appreciated. Please continue.

Incidentally, I can confirm the above report by Airbrushkid that, even with the newest version of the Intel SSD Toolbox, which worked fine prior to the Data Center Tool firmware update, after the update it no longer reports the drive health or estimated life remaining. I don't get the same thing as reported in the other thread though, where for that poster it actually says that SMART is disabled. Instead, the Drive Health and Estimated Life Remaining bars that previously were filled blue close to 100% are now just empty gray. The information displayed if you click on "SMART Details" seems to be the same as before (meaning it's fine). I also note that Belarc Advisor reports that the drive is "not SMART", but I'm not sure if that wasn't the case before the firmware update.

Oh, and a question. This is my first time using the Data Center Tool. Is it alright to move the entire C:\isdct directory somewhere deeper in the directory structure and still have everything work okay? I like to keep my root directory with as few direct subdirectories as possible.

System specs below:

MotherboardRampage V ExtremeProcessorIntel 5930KMemory (part number)G.Skill 32gbGraphics Card # 1Gigabyte Gaming 980TiGraphics Card # 2Gigabyte Gaming 980TiMonitorROG SwiftStorage # 1Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TBStorage # 2Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSDCPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 UltimateCaseThermalTake v71Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2OSWindows 10 Professional

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Qwinn,

We would like to remind you that the actual improvement in the boot time depends on different aspects of the system, and it is difficult to estimate it unless you measure and compare boot times before and after the firmware upgrade. However, we will try to get more information about this if possible.

We are also looking into the report about SMART feature being disabled and we'll provide an update as soon as it is available.

Regarding your question about moving Intel® SSD Data Center Tool files. ISDCT requires installation and modification in Windows* OS, so if you just move the directory, it will cause issues in the operating system and the tool may not work properly. In this case, the best course of action would be as follows:

- Go to Windows* Control Panel - Programs and Features - Uninstall a Program, then uninstall Intel® SSD Data Center Tool completely from your computer.

- Then install the tool again, during the installation process make sure to customize the installation folder, so that the application is installed the directory you desire.