cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Intel 750 Slow to boot?

RLaBa1
New Contributor II

Howdy Everyone. Just picked up the Intel 750 1.2TB SSD card. Installed it on my X99 Asus Rampage V board and installed Windows 7 X64 without a problem. However, I am seeing a boot performance issue. This drive is taking about 25 seconds to boot, approximately 13 seconds longer than my Samsung 850 EVO. Did a little Googling on this and apparently, I am not the only one. I have read several reviews and the ones that measure boot time / performance will say this is the slowest SSD to boot. I have provided the link below as an example.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5 Intel's 750 Series solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 5

Intel - Is this going to be fixed in a future firmware release? I wont be able to justify keeping this card if first generation SSD's still outperform in terms of booting.

Thanks,

Randman76

X99 Rampage V

I-7 5960X OC to 4.4 ghz

Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)

980 GTX-SLI

1200W PSU

162 REPLIES 162

JJohn62
New Contributor

Thank you for the information, Matrix_Leader. I am on the latest firmware - EXM0186Q, and Samsung Magician is reporting:

Sequential reads 552

Sequential writes 506

Random reads 87024

Random writes 78987

Incidentally, the second and third links that you provided in your earlier posting seem to be saying that although it was originally thought that there was a problem with the EVO Pro SSDs, the issue turned out to be a Linux issue.

MLead
New Contributor II

Excellent man! That is the first firmware which is why you don't have the slowdown. People on the 2nd firmware are doomed and don't know it unless they are picky and benchmark a lot to see the performance loss. Putting that aside, I still wouldn't buy anything from Samsung anymore as they are yet to release a firmware to fix this issue with the 850 PRO even after 6 months, basically they thought, screw them, let them buy a new SSD we have no time to waste on developing another firmware to fix our previous mistake.

JJohn62
New Contributor

Thanks for the reassurance!

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello all,

Improvements in boot time for the Intel® SSD 750 Series are a high priority for Intel and an update is currently under development. Intel® SSD Data Center Tool supports the 750 Series and will be the first tool to get the update. Other tools (Firmware Update Tool and SSD Toolbox) will be updated soon after.

JMoor18
New Contributor

Thanks for the update Jonathan. I'm sure like myself many people are anxiously waiting for this firmware update. Coming from a network engineer background, seeing short self test coming from an appliance is ok. But from a blazing fast SSD it is not ok.