cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get Intel SSD DC P4600 product specification?

GLi29
New Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Guofeng,

Please see my answers below, I hope I covered everything you want to know.

Q1, the SSD controller writes data to all blocks. After long period writes, the write cycles of all cells are almost same. This is a pure hardware character. Am I right?

That’s correct. After long period writes, the write cycles of all cells should be around the same. This is a hardware feature, but also the firmware in the drive manages how the data is written into these cells.

Q2, can I use the wear_leveling of nvme smart log to determine if a ssd is close to the lifetime?

We recommend to use the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (DCT) to monitor the SSD health and lifetime. Actually, this tool includes a feature called “Endurance Analyzer” which calculates the life expectancy of the drive based on a user workload. Please check additional details in the following User Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...

The wear_leveling value of the NVMe* Smart Log shows how much of the rated cell life was used. So considering this information, it may work to determine if the SSD is close to the lifetime, however the recommended tool for this purpose is the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool.

Q3, P4600 Endurance Rating is 23.23 PBW. (23.23 PBW / Capacity) is equal to the max write cycles. Am I right?

The 23.23 PBW value means that you can write 23.23 Petabytes (PB) into the drive before it should be replaced. Since the drive has a warranty period of 5 years, that means that 23.23 PB / (5 years x 365 days) is equal to 12.728 TB per day (approx.). That means that you can write up to 12.7 TB per day during 5 years before the SSD should be replaced. That is almost 3 Drive Writes Per Day (DWPD) if you are using the 4.0 TB capacity drive. The value of 3 DWPD means that you can write 3 times the drive’s capacity each day.

I hope this information clarifies your concerns. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi GLi29,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Unfortunately, the Product Specification document is not available to public. However, I would like to know which information you need about the drive, or the reason why you need this document.

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

I need some information about performance and reliability, especially endurance.

I find the product spec of 3500 - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spe...

I am using it as reference.

Here are my initial questions:

Q1, the SSD controller writes data to all blocks. After long period writes, the write cycles of all cells are almost same. This is a pure hardware character. Am I right?

Q2, can I use the wear_leveling of nvme smart log to determine if a ssd is close to the lifetime?

probe198:/ # nvme intel smart-log-add /dev/nvme0n1 Additional Smart Log for NVME device:nvme0n1 namespace-id:ffffffff key normalized raw program_fail_count : 100% 44 erase_fail_count : 100% 0 wear_leveling : 98% min: 102, max: 138, avg: 124 end_to_end_error_detection_count: 100% 0 crc_error_count : 100% 0 timed_workload_media_wear : 100% 63.999% timed_workload_host_reads : 100% 65535% timed_workload_timer : 100% 65535 min thermal_throttle_status : 100% 0%, cnt: 0 retry_buffer_overflow_count : 100% 0 pll_lock_loss_count : 100% 0 nand_bytes_written : 100% sectors: 25044816 host_bytes_written : 100% sectors: 22662463  

Q3, P4600 Endurance Rating is 23.23 PBW. (23.23 PBW / Capacity) is equal to the max write cycles. Am I right?

Thanks, Guofeng

Hi Guofeng,

Please see my answers below, I hope I covered everything you want to know.

That’s correct. After long period writes, the write cycles of all cells should be around the same. This is a hardware feature, but also the firmware in the drive manages how the data is written into these cells.

We recommend to use the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (DCT) to monitor the SSD health and lifetime. Actually, this tool includes a feature called “Endurance Analyzer” which calculates the life expectancy of the drive based on a user workload. Please check additional details in the following User Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...

The wear_leveling value of the NVMe* Smart Log shows how much of the rated cell life was used. So considering this information, it may work to determine if the SSD is close to the lifetime, however the recommended tool for this purpose is the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool.

The 23.23 PBW value means that you can write 23.23 Petabytes (PB) into the drive before it should be replaced. Since the drive has a warranty period of 5 years, that means that 23.23 PB / (5 years x 365 days) is equal to 12.728 TB per day (approx.). That means that you can write up to 12.7 TB per day during 5 years before the SSD should be replaced. That is almost 3 Drive Writes Per Day (DWPD) if you are using the 4.0 TB capacity drive. The value of 3 DWPD means that you can write 3 times the drive’s capacity each day.

I hope this information clarifies your concerns. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.