cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Power Consupmtion Specification. Intel 320 vs S3500

BNels4
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm comparing specs of Intel 320 and S3500. The data below is from Table 8 of S3500 spec and Table 5 of 320 spec.

Power ModeIntel 320Intel S3500Idle100 mW600 mWActive150 mW1,800 mW

S3500 Spec: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec...

320 Spec: http://ark.intel.com/products/56563/Intel-SSD-320-Series-120GB-2_5in-SATA-3Gbs-25nm-MLC ARK | Intel® SSD 320 Series (120GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)

The S3500 drive seems to us > 6 times the power of the 320 drive. I can only assume this large of a difference is due to measurement method.

Measurement method for Intel 320:

Measurement method for Intel S3500:

Is there a way to take the measurement method difference into account? I want to show that both drives consume a similar amount of power (or if they don't).

Thanks,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Silvia_L_Intel1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Ben,

The differences in power consumption between the Intel® SSD S3500 and the Intel® SSD 320 is primarily due to design considerations based on the target market for each drive.

The S3500 is designed for the Data Center market where power consumption is secondary goal. Response time, reliability, data integrity and endurance are the primary design goals for this market. This drive does not support Device Initiated Power Management since that would reduce response time.

The 320 series is designed for the Consumer market. Power consumption is a primary goal for this market since it's anticipated that this product would find their way into form factors (laptops/tablets etc.) where battery life is very important.

The measurement methods do make a difference. We use a more strenuous workload when measuring power consumption on the S3500 since that is representative of the anticipated real world usage of the product.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Silvia_L_Intel1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Ben,

The differences in power consumption between the Intel® SSD S3500 and the Intel® SSD 320 is primarily due to design considerations based on the target market for each drive.

The S3500 is designed for the Data Center market where power consumption is secondary goal. Response time, reliability, data integrity and endurance are the primary design goals for this market. This drive does not support Device Initiated Power Management since that would reduce response time.

The 320 series is designed for the Consumer market. Power consumption is a primary goal for this market since it's anticipated that this product would find their way into form factors (laptops/tablets etc.) where battery life is very important.

The measurement methods do make a difference. We use a more strenuous workload when measuring power consumption on the S3500 since that is representative of the anticipated real world usage of the product.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for your detailed response, it was very helpful. I didn't realize they were designed for different markets.

Ben

You're welcome.