cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Toolbox 3.1.0 misreports Drive Health for 520 Series 480GB SSD

SChau10
New Contributor

I would like to report an issue discovered with the latest Intel SSD Toolbox 3.1.0. With one of my Intel 520 Series 480GB SSD, Toolbox 3.1.0 displayed a drive health warning with short orange bar, despite 100% estimate life remaining. Once I reinstalled SSD Toolbox 3.0.5, the drive health is back to good with full green bar.

This has only been seen with one Intel 520 Series 480GB SSD. Toolbox 3.1.0 reports good drive health with all my other Intel SSDs, including another two 520 Series 480GB and 320 Series 300GB & 600GB SSDs.

Upon encountering this issue, I secure erased this 520 Series 480GB SSD, but the drive health warning in Toolbox 3.1.0 remained.

Attached are screen captures showing the difference in drive health for this 480GB SSD between Toolbox 3.0.5 and Toolbox 3.1.0.

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, that warning must be related to a problem noticed by a PC hardware review web site, in a review of the Intel 335 SSD. During the testing, they wrote a large amount of data to the SSD, but not so much that it would affect the health/lifespan of the SSD. They saw a significant decrease in the reported life of the SSD, and reported that to Intel. Shortly thereafter, we have an updated Toolbox.

I was not aware this also affected other SSDs, such as some 520s.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am having the same problem with my Intel 320 SSD.

Everything used to be great and then Drive Health went from 100% to 50%.

Estimated life remaining is still 99%-100%.

According to the SMART details, B8 went crazy:

Is this what is causing this?

Do you guys also suddenly have problems with B8?

Should I RMA my drive?

BTW:

MWI is still 99% -> E9, Media Wearout Indicator, 0, 99, 0, Ready for use.

Your SSD is fine; no RMA required.

Version 3.1 of the Toolbox was incorrectly reporting the data.

Toolbox 3.1.1 has been released which should correct your problem.

The Toolbox can be downloaded from http://www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox/ http://www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox/

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually I am already using 3.1.1. as you can see in the first screenshot above.

Here is a new screenshot, WITH version number included:

Version 3.1.1 - still shows the B8 error ^^^^^^

Seems like this has not been completely fixed for the 320-series then.

Please go tell someone to fix it