cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD not recognised after bluescreen

Manuel2
New Contributor II

Dear Community,

I have a severe problem with my Intel SSD NVMe SM2260. After a bluescreen yesterday in Windows 10, it was not able to boot my Laptop up again. In the UEFI the SSD had only been recognised with a capacity of exactly 1 GB (1024 MB), whereas the capacity is 256 GB.

I took the SSD out of my Laptop and put it as a second storage into my PC. When I checked in Windows under Computer Management -> Disk Management, the SSD also shows up with 1 GB and I am asked to initialise the disk… (see first attachment)

Also, the app “Intel rapid storage technology” recognises the SSD only with 1 GB (see attachments 2 & 3).

All data recovery programs I have tried so far were not even able to do anything with the SSD.

When I do initialise the SSD with Windows Disk Management, the SSD shows up as a 2 TB “GPT Protective Partition” (see attachment 4). However, data recovery programs also could not do anything with that…

When I restart the PC, the SSD is again shown as an uninitialised 1 GB disk.

So my question is, if anyone here has experienced anything remotely similar or has suggestions how I can proceed further. When I was dealing with disk problems, at least the correct size was recognized, but I have never experienced anything like that before…

Thank you so much!

11 REPLIES 11

Manja
New Contributor

Hi Manuel2,

did you manage to recover the data?

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same SSD and the same HP firmware (01)

Thanks and regards,

Manja

hommytillfiger
New Contributor

Manuel,

If the SSD shows up with suspiciously small capacity like 1024 MB that means the controller stucked in failsafe mode because it loosen it's contact with the NANDs or due to degraded NANDs. Now in 2023, this Silicon Motion controller is supported in PC3000 Portable III, but not yet with Intel's HP customized firmware - and there's a fair chance for that it maybe never will be supported. SI'm sorry to say but there's no chance to recover your data from this SSD.

FYI: "initialize" option in Windows goes against data recovery possibilities because it (among a few things) writes a blank file table to the drive.