cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S3520 get constantly "surprise removed"

Roman_Shein
New Contributor II

I "inherited" a 1.2TB DC S3520. The drive report itself as being healthy. Yet it keeps to appear/disappear from the system at random.

I tried so far:

• Update firmware to latest
  • Tried 4 different HBA
  • Tried z77 HBA in AHCI and RAID mode
  • Secure erase (erased successfully, though it wasn't easy; the drive was locked)
  • Switched off "Line Power Management"

This last LPM intervention helped. Now it doesn't disappear while computer is on. Yet the thing is missing (both BIOS and Windows) on wake up after standby. Sometime even power off do not help. The drive reappear eventually. And surely my electric bill will increase slightly due to LPM hack.

The rig has 5 sata ssd. This S3520 is one of youngest probably. Other 4 work just fine, including older S4600.

I strongly suspect DevSleep. There was a well-known problem with older Intel 520, which didn't handle DevSleep properly. At one stage Intel had to create a tool to disable DevSleep on SSD side (not in OS).

Unfortunately it seems there is no option to switch off DevSleep in newer drives.

Is there any troubleshooting step that I missed?

What are my options? To ask for RMA? The drive is certainly not usable in current state.

10 REPLIES 10

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi Roman Shein,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group.

This is to let you know this case is being closed.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation