cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusing old very old SSDs

CVeil
New Contributor

Hi guys!

Couldnt find the answers I'm looking for so I thought I'd reach out on the forum. This is a question for my job.

Short version: I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of reusing old SSDs instead of buying new.

Long version:

The SSD model is the following: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/2723/INTEL-SSDSA2CW080G3 SSDSA2CW080G3. I believe it's a product from 2011. https://ark.intel.com/fr/products/56571/Intel-SSD-320-Series-80GB-2_5in-SATA-3Gbs-25nm-MLC Caractéristiques du produit Intel® SSD 320 Series (80GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC). We started using most of them in 2013 (a few thousands). Now we have a few hundreds of them that have been unused for a few years, stored in decent conditions. They're available to be reused,

We do reuse them in a different application (it works fine), and we perform basic tests with HD sentinel to see if they're in good shape. Almost all of them clear the tests and can be reused. They only have an average of 20GB of writing.

My question is, do you think those tests are sufficient? Should I worry that they are SSDs from 2011 and have been unplugged and stored most of the time? Most information i find on SSD failures and SSD lifetime considers read/write cycles and that the SSDs are being used.

I would approximate that it costs me 40-50$ to reuse them (tests etc.)... and yes I could purchase new ones for 100$. But we also do it for environmental reasons. The cost of a failure is about 300$ + bad customer/retailer experience.

I'm slightly leaning towards buying new and sending those SSDs to recycling.

Any thoughts?

many thanks!!

Charles

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Charles_p_eng,

We would like to let you know that the amount of time that the SSDs have been unplugged and store does not affect their lifetime due to the technology(chips). Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.Regards, Junior M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Charles_p_eng,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.Regards, Junior M.