cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help with RAID 0+TRIM with Intel 330 180GB SSDs and ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have assembled a new PC with an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo, Kingston 16 GB (2x8) DDR3 1600 MHz RAM, Intel Core i7 3770 CPU, two Intel 330 180GB SSDs, one Intel 520 60GB SSD, one HDD Hitachi 1 TB and one XFX R7850 GPU. As OS I am going to use Windows 7 64 bit Ult. First of all I am not quite sure if I really can effectively integrate the 520 60GB SSD into the new build, i.e. if I can use the normally potential properties of that SSD in a stably working unit. Further, I would like to use the two Intel 330 180GB SSDs in a RAID0 configuration. Would it be possible to use another SSD or the mechanical HDD as a designated target drive in a recovery volume? Sorry if this question displays a funny/peculiar confusion in regard to my PC knowledge. Should I be able to use Acronis True Image Home 2012 to make a recovery of my system and files?

Parsec has already in detail answered Arin's questions about a RAID0 configuration on the mobo ASUS P8Z77-V Pro. Since my CPU is an Intel Core i7 3770 I think the issues are a bit different from the those that prompted the instructions that Parsec offered Arin.

Anyhow, I have connected the two Intel 330 180GB SSDs to the brown SATA ports. Otherwise, would all of the instructions given to Arin by Parsec apply to my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo?

Just making the important issues quite transparent to me, would it be a correct understanding that before I start the brand new Windows 7 OS installation, I should disconnect all electric power from any other SSD and HDD mounted in the cabinet before I start installing the OS? Should those disks stay disconnected also when I install the drivers? Including the basic RAID driver? Which is? Would it be the IRST 11.2.0.1006 provided by Intel? In other words the f6flpy-x64_11.2.0.1006.zip? And the next step would be to install the STOR_Win7_XP_11.2.0.1006.exe file also provided by Intel on the Intel site: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards? Would this be the correct order of installation so far? On the Intel site the following information is provided: "Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 11.2.0.1006 for Intel® Desktop Boards. This driver supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation. RST 11.2 supports TRIM on RAID 0 only on Intel Desktop Boards with the 7 Series chipsets. How to install. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation. Once the operating system is installed and RAID (0, 5 or 10) has been enabled in the BIOS, double-click the downloaded file to launch the driver installation."

Now, this would apply only to Intel mobos, or will it be relevant also to my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo?

Here I am stuck at a point of the installation process where I am desorientated by quite insufficientknowledge. Could I please have some competent intructions on how to proceed to get a RAID system with stability?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Slow down, you are complicating things way to much. Your ASUS board uses the Intel Z77 chipset and Intel CPU, right? Therefore everything I and others wrote about installing Windows applies to you, you have an Intel based mother board. The board does not need to be made by Intel.

Your different CPU makes NO difference at all. The CPU is not involved with the SATA interface. The other ASUS board you mentioned is also a Z77 chipset board, so yours is identical in all the installation instructions and drivers, etc.

As long as the brown SATA ports on your board are for the Intel SATA interface (check the manual) you are fine.

You can use any backup software like Acronis, or even Windows backup itself. Why do you think your PC is different or unique in all of these aspects?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you very much indeed, parsec for your guidance. I will slow down. But slowing down won't solve my dilemma caused by more or less selfmade expertise making contradictory statements in periodicals about the requirement to format the SSDs in a RAID configuration. During the initial installation or clean re-installation of an OS I thought formatting was always required? OK, this issue is maybe a pseudo issue of the same kind as those other issues raised by me, prompting you to advise me to slow down?