cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD Toolbox - Incorrect drive health displayed on some 520 SSD's

KenF_Intel
Contributor

The Intel® SSD Toolbox may incorrectly indicate that the drive health of some of the Intel SSD 520 Series. This is an issue with the Intel SSD Toolbox when identifying SSD's with a serial number beginning with EK and does not indicate a problem with the physical drive.

We will post an update to this message when a new version of the Intel SSD Toolbox is available.

You may also click the Receive Email Notifications link on the right side of this screen to be notified when this discussion is updated. If you do not see the Receive Email Notifications link then you may need to create an account for the Intel communities or log in to an account you already have.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Three 520s in this PC, none with serial numbers starting with EK. No drive health display issues.

All showed ~3 times the LBAs written in Toolbox 3.16, compared to previous versions. Toolbox 3.18 has the LBAs written values back to normal, IMO.

Manny, the Power on Hours Count data shown in the Toolbox must be processed before it makes sense. It is composed of two data items combined into one field, and is meaningless interpreted as a single number. The datasheet for the 520 describes how this data item is composed and how to translate it into meaningful data.

OTOH, that description did not make sense IMO, and I never was able to apply the operations on my SSD's data, and get a result that made sense. I should try that again. I'm sure Intel would say nothing is wrong with that data item, it looks the same to me as it always has.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel SSD Toolbox 3.1.6 is also giving me erroneous SMART readings. I have an Intel 520 240gb drive - which was purchased brand new and has been used for less than a week. All I've done thus far with the drive is clean install windows 8 on it, install some light software, and browse the internet - I haven't done ANYTHING which would result in high writes on the drive.

The Intel tool box is showing host-writes of 539GB - which is way off as it equates to over 120GB written per day!!! Also, the disk power-on hours in the tool-box shows a raw value of 894904 - which i believe is erroneous too.

I've attached a snapshot of Intel tool box reading along side Crystaldiskinfo readings. I suppose the Crytaldiskinfo readings are much more accurate and depict the 'real-world' use of the ssd.

Intel please fix the toolbox - or if I'm mistaken please let me know about it.